cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need TN for for migrating Tape drives

Ramaero1
Level 3

Hi all,

Please provide me TN for migrating tape drives from media servers and for migrating tape inormation from existing media server to the newly built media server.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you had a look at the TN's in my previous post?

First get the new media server working:
Check comms between master and media at OS level - ensure forward and reverse lookup is working.
If there is a firewall, ensure port 1556 is open in both directions.
Present tape drives to new media server. Check that OS can see/use the drives. You have chosen Unix as OS - steps to be taken at OS level depends on which flavour of Unix. (See Device Config Guide - it contains a chapter for each OS)
Install NBU server software, choose media server towards end of installation (see NBU Installation Guide). Add same license keys used for old media server.
Config devices and STU in NBU.
Check comms with clients as above - forward and reverse lookup as well as port connectivity.
Add SERVER entry on all clients.
Change policies to new STU.

Once backups are working to new media server, decommission old media server as per my previous post.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6

More info please - what exactly does 'migrating tape drives from media servers' mean in your environment?

Are tape drives getting replaced? Or is media server getting replaced with new media server?

If new media server, same or different hostname?

If new media server, you need to decommission the old media server and transfer media ownership to new media server.

nbdecommission is the command that can do all of this.

Start with this TN:

About decommissioning a media server
http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO86282

And then go through all related links at the bottom:

See About decommissioning limitations

See Before you decommission a media server

See Decommission actions

See Post decommission recommendations

See Previewing references to a media server

See Decommissioning a media server

Another TN: 

Decommission actions on UNIX/Linux

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO66666

If my understanding is incorrect, please give all relevant info.

Ramaero1
Level 3

Thnaks for the help marianne.

Media server is getting replaced with a different hostname.

Need to change the ownership of tape drives and tape information from old media server to new one with diffrent host name.

Marianne
Level 6

Have you had a look at the TN's in my previous post?

First get the new media server working:
Check comms between master and media at OS level - ensure forward and reverse lookup is working.
If there is a firewall, ensure port 1556 is open in both directions.
Present tape drives to new media server. Check that OS can see/use the drives. You have chosen Unix as OS - steps to be taken at OS level depends on which flavour of Unix. (See Device Config Guide - it contains a chapter for each OS)
Install NBU server software, choose media server towards end of installation (see NBU Installation Guide). Add same license keys used for old media server.
Config devices and STU in NBU.
Check comms with clients as above - forward and reverse lookup as well as port connectivity.
Add SERVER entry on all clients.
Change policies to new STU.

Once backups are working to new media server, decommission old media server as per my previous post.