cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a Script for Cancel All jobs

Sagar_Kolhe
Level 6

Hi All,

Sometimes on our site , we are facing one scenerio , that someone is clicking CANCEL ALL JOBS option in the activity monitor.

Because of that , all running backup cancelled.

SO anyone have any script or tool , to find out , by whom (from which PC (through IP address) ) backup has cancelled by generating logs or through E-mail.

If any one having any solution related to this , kindly let me know.

Thanks in Advance.

Regds,

Sagar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Enabling Auditing on NetBackup will track job cancellation - and a lot more - see thse tech notes:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34381
http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34380

If nothing else it will pin down when it happended - after that you should be able to see who was logged on at the time

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Netbackup does not log this information, so it is not possible to use a script. I think the solution going forward, is to use nbac to control who has access and permissions to run commands. Nbac can be configured to restrict the command users can run. Martin

The_Director
Level 5
Certified

We had this issue accidentally, the "fix" was to enable the 'are you sure' check. This way if someone does accidentally push cancel all jobs it will at least prompt them before they can actually commit.

I'm guessing you already have this but it was worth noting.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Enabling Auditing on NetBackup will track job cancellation - and a lot more - see thse tech notes:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34381
http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34380

If nothing else it will pin down when it happended - after that you should be able to see who was logged on at the time

Hope this helps

Sagar_Kolhe
Level 6

Hi All ,

Sorry For late reply.

We did that check box check , but the issue is they again uncheck that check box , and same issue occurs.

That is why i need that script to find that who canclled the backup like , when someone cancelled the backup , we get the logs or any other alert on our pc.

IS it possible.

bharatgangawane
Level 5

Hi All ,

If any EEB for tracking this from Master server like as ip address thos who cacelled all job from master server.

Thanks

Bharat

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The final answer is that it is not possible to track who cancelled a job with standard NetBackup.

As Mark mentioned, you can track when it happens, but not who.

The solution for you is to use NBAC (Netbackup access control) - this will allow you to control WHO can do WHAT  operations - that is, you can restrict which users can carry out which functions.

There is no EEB available for this, and there are no plans for such an EEB.

Another easiersolution (nbac can get complex) is to restrict WHO has a logon to the master /media servers).

In my old firm (a very very large multinational firm), the backup servers (masers and medias) did NOT belong to 'server support' like all the other servers, they belonged to the backup team - so we did all the backup operations AND operating system maintainence - it worked very very well, and nobody cancelled all jobs etc ...

Additioannly, all our staff very fully trained, in general, they knew that if they were unsure aboutsomething, they would ask.

Regards,

Martin

Genericus
   VIP   

The worse part is that the options for cancel job and cancel ALL jobs are right next to each other on the menu, and it is easily mis-clicked.

There have been many requests to move or remove this, especially since you can manually select all jobs and then select cancel job and get the same result.

I do not understand why they do not remove this.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

I think you are using older version of NBU.

b'coz in Netbackup 7x that "cancel all"option is removed by Symantec

only small icon is there at top most right side of NBU Admin console

forum, am i correct  ?

Will_Restore
Level 6

NetBackup 7.1 menu bar: 

... Delete   Details   Cancel Job   Cancel All Jobs   Suspend Job   Resume Job  ...

(emphasis added)