cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help, not seeing library in devices

Kat_Martinez
Level 4

He recently had to rebuild our Netbackup server due to some drive issues.  We are running Server 2008 R2 on the server with Netbackup 7.1.0.4.  After getting the server back on the domain and re-connected to the library it will not recognize the tape library.  The server is a Dell PowerEdge 2850 connected to a Dell ML6000 library.  I cannot see them in device manager nor will it let me add them.  Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.  (note, all was working prior to the re-build).  Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Can you see them in the Windows Device Manager? If not, this really isn't a NetBackup issue. Check connectivity and ensure the HBA/Library are not faulty

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

How is the tape library connected to the master/media server?

SCSI/SAS - check cable connectivity. In the getting started guide it shows for this library not to use SAS port 2 on a LTO5 tape drive.

Fibre Channel - check zoning in your fabric

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Can you see them in the Windows Device Manager? If not, this really isn't a NetBackup issue. Check connectivity and ensure the HBA/Library are not faulty

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Have you reinstalled the driver for the library ? if not it might be under under other deivices in the Windows device manager

Another thing I have seen with Windows is that you some times need to reboot to initilize/discover peripherial units

For SCSI libraries missing terminators can a give similar issue

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If no driver is installed for the robot, then the default Windows drivers should see it in Windows Device Manager as 'unknown medium changer'. This is normally sufficient for NBU.

Kat_Martinez
Level 4

It is connected via SCSI.  I've tried rebooting the library, still nothing.  This was working with 2008 prior to the rebuild of the server.  I have tried every driver I can find.  Under other devices there are 2 SCSI devices listed.  I have tried pointing to the library drivers and having it find them via the O/S but it says Windows could not find driver software for your device.  I try pointing to the library/media changer drivers and it states the same thing. 

WVT
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
Dont worry about medium changer/library drivers. Just get the drivers for the tape drives from the manufacturer website HP or IBM.

WVT
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

And make sure you get latest device mappings from symantec.

Kat_Martinez
Level 4

I contacted Dell and they said the drivers are part of the Server 2008 in box drivers.  What do you mean latest device mappings?

Kat_Martinez
Level 4

Oh wait, disregard that device mapping question.

Kat_Martinez
Level 4

Okay, went to Veritas to get the Device Mappings Package for Windows Servers 1.125 but can't find it anywhere.

Marianne
You will find links to Device Mappings in NBU HCL: 7.0 - 7.6 - http://www.veritas.com/docs/000040791 7.7 : http://www.veritas.com/docs/000025228 But if you cannot see the Medium Changer in Windows Device Manager, there is no point.

Kat_Martinez
Level 4

Yes, I cannot see either the Medium Changer nor the Tape Drives.  I'm at my wits end.  I've tried every Dell driver I can find.  Very frustrated. 

Marianne
"Under other devices there are 2 SCSI devices listed. " This could be the tape drives. Are they IBM or HP tape drives? Maybe you could take screenshots of what is seen in Device Manager and upload here? Please do the following in Device Manager : On the View menu, click 'Devices by connection'. Can you see the SCSI card? And devices connected to it?