Did you mean: 

Need help with NBU reports

prodipan
Level 2

We are currently using the NetBackup Administration Console v7.1
I am a fresher and I have been given the following tasks to complete

I know how to perform this action

For a specific client
Report>Client backups>Choose client name>Set specific time periods to 24 hours> run report

I have been asked to automate the the running of this report every 24 hours and make it so that the report goes to specific email. I don't know how to do this.

I have also been asked to create a way that netbackup admin console sends out a mail in every 24 hours detailing every job for every client.

Check for the Robots: Update the Volume configuration and send out a mail in every 24 hour
Check for the Scratch tape count at Media and send out a mail in every 24 hour
In the Device Monitor check for all the drives are UP and send out a mail in every 24 hour

There has to be one mail for 3,4 and 5

I have to configure this for 4~5 different master servers.

Can anybody please help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
You can do it all in OpsCenter.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

sdo
You can do it all in OpsCenter.

prodipan
Level 2
Our client is not inclined to move from NetBackup Administration Console v7.1. Help please.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

If you won't use Opscenter then you will need to have some command line scripts running - it's easier on Unix than it is on Windows as Unix has a command line mail program and you could run the scripts via cron then run a cronjob to mail the outputs too.

You will need a command line mail program in Windows to send the output of your customer scripts- do you have such a mail program?

If not, then you are going to find it extremely difficult!

Get Opscenter - it's free for the non-analytics version

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
None of your requirements can be automated using NBU Admin Console. As per revarooo's post - if you don't know have good NBU experience and don't know how to do all of this from cmd plus scripting knowledge to automate everything, then you need to go back to your management and tell them that they will need the services of an NBU consultant with scripting expertise. This is NOT a task for someone who is new to NBU. Your best bet is to install OpsCentre on a separate server or VM. One OpsCentre server can manage/report on all master servers in your environment. PS: NBU 7.1 will reach EOSL beginning of next year. Please start with planning to upgrade to 7.7.x.

Genericus
   VIP   

NetBackup comes with reports that do some of this.

"mail_bp_reports.sh" has a TON of information.

I run this within a script to generate an error report, I got fancy and do 24 hours each day but monday, when I do 72:

# get day of the week to determine hours to report
mydate=`date +%w`
if [ $mydate == 1 ]
then
h=72
else
h=24
fi
# generate report
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bperror -U -backstat -hoursago $h -by_statcode >> output.file

Send output.file to someone who cares.

Here is a portions of a script to update robots and output scratch tape count:

update robots and save as variable to print:

LOG0=`/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmupdate -rt acs -rn 0 -use_barcode_rules -rh robotcontrol 2>&1`
LOG3=`/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmupdate -rt acs -rn 3 -use_barcode_rules -h master -rh robotcontrolhost 2>&1`
LOG4=`/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmupdate -rt tld -rn 4 -use_barcode_rules -h master -rh robotcontrolhost 2>&1`
LOG5=`/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmupdate -rt tld -rn 5 -use_barcode_rules -h master -rh robotcontrolhost 2>&1`
LOG6=`/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmupdate -rt tld -rn 6 -use_barcode_rules -h master -rh robotcontrolhost 2>&1`

Scratch tapes can be found like this:

SCRATCH6=`/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmquery -pn scratch_pool -b | grep "TLD      6" | /usr/bin/wc -l`

run the command at the OS to determine what to grep for to catch each robot.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Nice! But won't work on Windows ......

sdo
Use OpsCenter. It's free to use for short historic retention. I think 60 days of history can be reported in the free version. You can even use OpsCenter v7.7.2 to report on NetBackup v7.1. And it will do all of the reports/queries in your initial post.