Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with exclusion lists for DFSR

Dan_Vargas
Level 4

Hi guys,

Actual question after the intro.

======Intro=======

I have a huge bottleneck in my backups because of my huge DFSR folders, which at the moment are backed up in one single stream when backing up the Shadow Copy Components.

Reading the NBU admin guide, they recommend you to, basically, split your backup job for your DFSR server in two, one (let's call it policy A) for the DFSR folders (you have to manually list all your DFSR folders in the backup selection list) and another (policy B) for everything else (all_drives in my case).

To achieve this without backing up those DFSR folders on B, I need to set up an exclusion list for my DFSR server (Master server\NBU mgmt\host properties\Clients\Properties\Windows Client\Exclude lists), and find a way to make B exclude

Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\

But make A to have an exception for

Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\Folder1

Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\Folder2

Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\Folder3

======Question=======

How do I achieve this? In the exclusion list, I can only create exclusions for all policies and all schedules. I can't see a way to apply the exclusion list to B, and the exception list to A...

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dan_Vargas
Level 4

This solution is incorrect. The problem is that it's not intuitive. In the exclusion list, you have to click on add and not use the dropdown list (if the schedule you are after is not listed) but type it manually making sure it matches the name of the schedule (and/or the name of the schedules) you want to apply exceptions to.

Same applies for the exclusions list.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Did you check this technote ?

How NetBackup creates the path to DFSR data
Article URL:http://www.veritas.com/docs/000095098

Dan_Vargas
Level 4

Thanks nbutech! I wasn't aware of that issue, but thankfully all my DFSR folders have unique names! Phew!

I still need help with the exclusion and exceptions.

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Well you can exclude at policy level

Check this link

http://spotidoc.com/doc/220299/how-to-backup-microsoft-dfsr-data-using-symantec-netbackup

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Looks like it's not possible : http://www.veritas.com/docs/000095710 Extract: * Known Restrictions: - Excludes within the DFSR hierarchy are not supported - All Versions

Dan_Vargas
Level 4

This solution is incorrect. The problem is that it's not intuitive. In the exclusion list, you have to click on add and not use the dropdown list (if the schedule you are after is not listed) but type it manually making sure it matches the name of the schedule (and/or the name of the schedules) you want to apply exceptions to.

Same applies for the exclusions list.