Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need information reg Vmware backup using NBU 6.5.4

_5
Level 3
Partner
Hello folks,

I have a NBU 6.5.4 runnning on Windows 2003 server

We have  new requirement to take the backup for Vmware ESX server ( not the all the Vmware instances ) only need to backup the vmware templates which used to create for the virtual machines.

We are looking for a LAN backup for the same for this what the extra licneces required to purchase to the same .

Is any good documentaion for the doing this implementation

Thanks in Advancce
Vimal
3 REPLIES 3

lu
Level 6
Templates just look like VMs. So you could install a Linux NBU on your ESX, and backup the vmfs directory where your templates are stored.

_5
Level 3
Partner
Hi Lu,

Is any reqirement to buy new licnece for that ( I mean to say the Licence for Vmware )

Currently I running with NBU 6.5.4 Enterprise edition and i don't have any extra licence for Vmware.

Thank you in advance

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you follow Lu's advice then you only need to install the NetBackup Client on the ESX host. This would only require a basic client license.
And you would use the Linux RedHat client binaries of NetBackup 6.5 for your ESX 2 or 3 or 4 hosts. You would select in the backup policy Linux, RedHat2.4 as the OS. (this is taken from the OS compatibility matrix - http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/325328.htm)

But seriously unless your templates are changing regularly. Could you not NFS export /copy them to the master server and capture them in a local master backup when changes occur?
Save expense. Keeps ESX installation clean too.