cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some info about NDMP

ankur1809
Level 5

Hi ,

I am having storage box configured with NDMP policy type. Kindly help me with below mentioned queries:

1.Please see screen shot and let me know if is it local and 3way NDMP backup?

2.No tape drive is configured for NDMP backup. In policy storage unit is configured with media server that is dedicated to tape library.

3.In backup selection we do have isilonbkp i.e. storage box

4.Is it a scenario where backup from isilonbkp box is getting backed up to tape library attached to media server?

In configuration steps i have read to configure tape drives then only NDMP host will be visible in storage unit as well. but in this scenario tape drives are also not configured. Kindly throw some light on NDMP setup. and let me know if i have missed some info.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The output in your screenshot is showing you what is supported by the Isilon.
It does not show you what is supported by NetBackup.
The Hardware Compatibility List shows you what is supported by the Isilon as well as NBU.

The 'probe' command shows that there are no tape drives connected to the Isilon, so it is not possible to perform Local/direct-attached backup.

3-way is when you have another Isilon (NDMP device) with tape drives attached and you configure the backups to go through that filer.

Seems most users prefer Local/direct attached because data travel directly to tape drives using SCSI or FC, not across the network.

Please take your time and go through the docs that I have posted above.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6

You are not doing 'local' or '3-way'.

A third method for NDMP backup is done in your environment: Remote.
This means the backup is done over the network to the media server.

The following methods are supported for NDMP (as per NBU 7.x HCL  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76495 :(

Connection Method Description
Direct-attach (local) Data travels from disk to a tape device on the same NDMP host, or from disk to tape device on a SAN. Backup data is NOT sent over local network. NOTE: The tape drives must be in NDMP-type storage units.
Remote  Data travels from the NDMP host, across the local network to a NetBackup media server, to a storage unit connected to the NetBackup media server.
3-way Data travels from disk on an NDMP host to a tape device on another NDMP host. Backup data is sent over the local network. NOTE: The tape drives must be in NDMP-type storage units.

Detailed NBU config info in these 2 manuals:

NDMP Appliance Information: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31885 

NetBackup for NDMP Administrator's Guide http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5164 
In this manual you will find diagrams that explain the connection methods.

ankur1809
Level 5

Thanks for your reply . You mean to say in my environment storage box is getting backed up as data is travelling to media server and then to tape library.

In attached output why it is showing local and 3way backups are supported on this particular storage box?

Because when i am using command -probe host_name it is not replying anything. Does this means no tape drive is configured with this box?

generally in most of the environments which type on NDMP backup is mostly used?

Marianne
Level 6

The output in your screenshot is showing you what is supported by the Isilon.
It does not show you what is supported by NetBackup.
The Hardware Compatibility List shows you what is supported by the Isilon as well as NBU.

The 'probe' command shows that there are no tape drives connected to the Isilon, so it is not possible to perform Local/direct-attached backup.

3-way is when you have another Isilon (NDMP device) with tape drives attached and you configure the backups to go through that filer.

Seems most users prefer Local/direct attached because data travel directly to tape drives using SCSI or FC, not across the network.

Please take your time and go through the docs that I have posted above.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

1: It tell you what is supported not what it is using.

3: You define what shared isilonbkp has defined. You need to talk to the Isilon admin. if I recall correctly it start with /ifs/

4: if no tape drive it attached to NDMP device you are properly doing remote NDMP (Page 20 in the NBU NDMP manual) . Data passes from the NDMP device to the media server that writes data to tape.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6456

Both remote, local and 3way NDMP backup are described in the manual.

Update: Ups, too late