cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to change the retention for specific backup policies/clients to infinity that are using SLP

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hello,

All our backup clients retention are set for 2 months and are determined by SLP.  We have specific backup policies/clients that need their backups retained infinity.  The retention for the polices box is grayed out and says Determined by SLP. I manually changed the backups (by command line  using expdate) we currently have to infinity. However when the backup jobs run/complete they will expire in two months, how do I set those specific polices backups to infinity without affecting all our other backing which should retain the 56 days.

Netbackup Master Linux runnning 7.7.3

Windows 2012 Clients using backup client 7.7.2

Thanks in Advance

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

i am seeing 2 approach  to achive your requirement..

1) create new SLP with infinity retenciton along with desired operations and assign the SLP only to this policy.(if this policy has other clients that does not need infiintiy rentecion , you need to create seperate policy for inifnity rentecion clients)

2) if SLP operations are not needed for this backups...select Storge unit in policy attributes, and then select desired retenction in schedules.

View solution in original post

Genericus
   VIP   

For future images

1. Copy SLP to SLP-infinite

2. Edit SLP-infinite to change retention of desired copy to infinite ( you may want to update the pool at that time as well! I forgot and put a bunch of infinite tapes in my 1 year pool. I had to recall and redo them, since you cannot change pools)

3. Edit schedules/policies to change SLP to SLP-infinite

To change existing image retention, you can use bpexpdate per image to manually set the expiration.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Change/select the new SLP in Policy Attributes -> Storage Unit or else in the schedule: override policy storage.

7 REPLIES 7

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

i am seeing 2 approach  to achive your requirement..

1) create new SLP with infinity retenciton along with desired operations and assign the SLP only to this policy.(if this policy has other clients that does not need infiintiy rentecion , you need to create seperate policy for inifnity rentecion clients)

2) if SLP operations are not needed for this backups...select Storge unit in policy attributes, and then select desired retenction in schedules.

Thanks RamNegalla for your reply,

I think approach 1 may work, there are about 14 backup polices each with 1 client/server that needs to be retained for infinity. The SLP should be the same as far as the other SLP with the exception that new SLP retention for those will be set to infinity. I just checked and did see where a new SLP can be created however I didn’t see where I can add those specific policy names or clients to that policy or change the retention. Is there a guide or somewhere I can look to do this?

When I right click I did see copy can I just copy the one SLP to a new name and make the changes/additions without affecting the original policy backup SLP? i.e similar to copying a backup policy? Where if I make a mistake I can delete it and try again?

Thanks again

Negalla,

I do see not where if you click "add" you can set retention for the new policy however I still don't see where I can specify the policies that  I want the new SLP to apply to. I will update when I figure that part out.

Thanks,

Genericus
   VIP   

For future images

1. Copy SLP to SLP-infinite

2. Edit SLP-infinite to change retention of desired copy to infinite ( you may want to update the pool at that time as well! I forgot and put a bunch of infinite tapes in my 1 year pool. I had to recall and redo them, since you cannot change pools)

3. Edit schedules/policies to change SLP to SLP-infinite

To change existing image retention, you can use bpexpdate per image to manually set the expiration.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Hi Genericus,

Thanks for your reply, we use disk pools so I should be ok as far as that.  Will I be able to edit those 14 backup policy clients that I need to? The option is currently grayed out.

Thanks again

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Change/select the new SLP in Policy Attributes -> Storage Unit or else in the schedule: override policy storage.

Hi All, Thanks for your replies!

Marianne, Thanks I got it thanks for you help!

Best Regards!