cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to change the retention period of existing tapes

ctate
Level 4
I need to change the retention period of some tapes to an infinite retention.  The tapes are currently set to expire a couple of months from now.  I need to do this on about 200 tapes.  What command do I need to run to modify this?  I am hoping the tapes don't need to be in the robot to do this.  This is for Netbackup 5.1 MP6 in a Windows environment.

Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

Stumpr2
Level 6
bpexpdate: -m <media id> -d infinity
             [-host <name>] [-force]
             [-M <master_server,...,master_server>]

Stumpr2
Level 6
you will find the bpexpdate command in the ...NetBackup\bin\admincmd folder

keith_abell
Level 4
If NB is running on a Windows server, this can be done with the GUI:
-Media and Device Management
-Media
-Highlight all the desired media,
-Change (right mouse button or Edit menu)
-Expiration date = Never

Stumpr2
Level 6
yes, the GUI should work regardless of where the tapes are physically located.

which is easier?
selecting in the GUI or using a for-loop in a script?

saintx
Level 3
I thought that bpexpdate was the only way to re-set the retention for backup tapes/images.  The expiration date field from the Media / Change GUI just refers to the date that Netbackup stops using the media for backups, correct? It has no bearing on the expiration date of the images on media.

Stumpr2
Level 6
The expiration date field from the Media / Change GUI just refers to the date that Netbackup stops using the media for backups, correct?

What you say is true....

But have you poked around in the GUI under the catalog section? I think you can do things with the images from there. I'm not certain....just hopeful that I am proven correct.

Nevermind, I just checked it because of my own curiosity. You can only "expire" tapes from there.

looks like bpexpdate is the way to go

Message Edited by Bob Stump on 09-06-2007 03:51 PM

keith_abell
Level 4
My above answer was intended for changing tape expiration on multiple tapes rather than retention periods. Sorry for the confusion. ( I would edit my above post for accuracy, but the edit function does not appear to be available)

Stumpr2
Level 6
The ability to edit times out after about 30 minutes. This keeps posters honest.