cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to free active drive

Rupesh33
Level 2

Hi All,

There are many monthly full jobs are running in the Master server , there is one crirical restore which I need to do but all drives are busy . Could you please assist me the solution to get my restore job done.

5 REPLIES 5

Douglas_A
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Restores always take priority in the job list. As soon as a drive is available it will start. If you need something immediatly i suggest pausing or stopping a job using the drive that you can easily rerun later.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If you have chekpoints enabled in your policies, you can suspend active backups.

As soon as a drive becomes available, the queued restore will reserve the drive.
When the restore job goes active, you can resume suspended jobs.

If you do not have chekpoints enabled in your policies, you will unfortunately need to cancel active backups and restart from scratch after the restore.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Decrease "concurrent write drives" in storager unit properties with one for the required storage unit.

Concurrent write dries does not apply to restores, this trick works well.

Once restore is done you can increment the concurent write drives again

Mike_Gavrilov
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, this is the best practice to avoid situations like this.

Genericus
   VIP   

All these have some value - I would suggest going to your pools and lowering the number of partially full tapes.

Once that is limited, as soon as one backup needs a tape, it will pause. 

You should not limit the drives, instead limit the max partially full tapes to one less than your backup drives.

This also works if you want to force backups from one volume pool to another if you have multiple pools as targets.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS