cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to increase jobs in Activity Monitor

john10
Level 6

Hello All,

Im able to see only 5 days job's in Activity monitor in Windows. Can you suggest how to view the Logs for 1 month. I did some changes in host properties even though it was same.Any one please suggest me .

FYR

Log.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Run the following commands from command line (cmd). But I want to warn you that activity monitor will be very very slow.

cd  <install_path>\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\
echo KEEP_JOBS_HOURS = 744 | bpsetconfig
echo KEEP_JOBS_SUCCESSFUL_HOURS = 744 | bpsetconfig

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Speedy1205
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi,

you can add this to the bp.conf:

KEEP_JOBS_HOURS = <hours> or / and KEEP_JOBS_SUCCESSFUL_HOURS

This settings you can modify for you need,

BR

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Run the following commands from command line (cmd). But I want to warn you that activity monitor will be very very slow.

cd  <install_path>\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\
echo KEEP_JOBS_HOURS = 744 | bpsetconfig
echo KEEP_JOBS_SUCCESSFUL_HOURS = 744 | bpsetconfig

john10
Level 6

Thanks Speedy and Stefanos

i executed the above command in the servers, but need some clarification what is the use of below "Keep Logs"  and "Keep True image restoration(TIR) info" option please clarify me .

Log.png

Speedy1205
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Keep true image restoration information
Specifies the number of days to keep true image restore information on disk. After the specified number of days, the images are pruned (removed). Applies to all policies for which NetBackup collects true image restore information. The default is one day.

When NetBackup performs a true image backup, it stores the following images on the backup media:

Backed up files
True image restore information

NetBackup also stores the true image restore information on disk in the install_path\NetBackup\db\images directory. NetBackup retains the information for the number of days that this property specifies.

Keeping the information on disk speeds up restores. If a user requests a true image restore after the information was deleted from disk, NetBackup retrieves the required information from the media. The only noticeable difference to the user is a slight increase in total restore time. NetBackup deletes the additional information from disk again after one day.

Keep logs
Specifies how many days you want to keep the logs in case you need the logs to evaluate failures. For example, if you check the backups every day, you can delete the logs sooner than if you check the backups once a month. However, the logs can consume a large amount of disk space, so do not keep the logs any longer than necessary. The default is 28 days.

Specifies the length of time, in days, that the master server keeps its error catalog, job catalog, and debug log information. NetBackup derives the Backup Status, Problems, All Log Entries, and Media Log reports from the error catalog. Also limits the time period that these reports can cover. When this time expires, NetBackup also deletes these logs (that exist) on UNIX media servers and UNIX clients.

I think this should clarify this.

The_Skip
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

You may also want to look at implementing Opscenter if possbile in your environement. Base Opscenter is included with NetBackup. This keeps jobs infromation and other information for a lot longer and allows you to report against specific date ranges.  this would allow you to reduce the amount of days in the activity monitor so that you could keep performance higher for your daily operations.

Here is a link to a short video that gives some of the highlights of OpsCenter.

http://www.symantec.com/products-solutions/products/videos-lightbox.jsp?cid=opscenter_analytics_demo

Timpane
Not applicable

NetBackup retrieves the required information from the media. The only noticeable difference to the user is a slight increase in total restore time. NetBackup deletes the additional information from disk again after one day.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Your signature indicates that you use NetBackup on Windows

If that is the case then your activity monitor timings are stored in the Registry and can be changed there

This only needs to be done on the Master Server

See this tech note:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24317

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Nobody answered your original question, which was:

Im able to see only 5 days job's in Activity monitor in Windows. Can you suggest how to view the Logs for 1 month.

When you bump up this value, it does not bring back logs which were already purged.  You will still have 5 days' worth of Job Information, but from that point forward, information will be retained as long as the new value instead of the old value (in this example, 5 days).