cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to know - If the EMM server is down then what is the impact on the infrastructure and what are the troubleshooting steps that needs to be performed. Thanks.

amitpalit
Level 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Reagan
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified
The EMM server runs on the master server and I believe contains the database for backup images, media, and storage devices.

The impact is obviously bad if the EMM server goes down.

The 1st thing to do is stop and restart all Netbackup services and pray that Netbackup starts up again.

If /opt/openv is full, then free up some space.  The catalog might be corrupted and in need of some cleaning up.

Any issues dealing with the catalog, I recommend calling Symantec for their expert advice. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

dustin_yonak
Level 4
Employee
The most common reason for the db to go down is a full filesystem. EMM will shutdown when the filesystem it resides on reaches 98% (I'm 98% sure that number is correct =) ). This feature started with version 6.5.2 so if you're using a version prior to that you would want to dig into logging to determine the root cause, in which case I would recommend contacting our support team.

Anton_Panyushki
Level 6
Certified
I reckon EMM failure in the initial post means that nbemm daemon goes down while Sybase ASA stays up and running.

In essense the impact is lethal - no EMM -> no resouce allocation -> no backups and restores.

In my opinion the 1st step one should do to tackle this issue to open a support case at Symantec. 
Next you'll be asked to increase debug and diagnostic levels for nbemm. Use vxlogcfg tool to do that.
Then you may check whether nbemm dumped its core on the master server. Issue
#file /core 

If Unix  file tool says that this file exists and it is ELF exeutable run
#pstack /core | head-10 to make sure that this core was dumped by nbemm. If it is so, you can upload the core file to support engineer for analysis.

Actually the problem that pertain to NetBackup new daemons (nbemm, nbjm, nbrb) failure are rather tough to resolve since the only thing you can rely is Veritas Logging. This logging was invented for Symantec staff, not mere mortals as you and me. So these isues can be efficently addressed only if you resort to 
Symantec Tech Support help. 

rj_nbu
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
This is a Interview question I presume ;)

NBUTSE
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
The first thing that we should do is to bounce the NetBackup services with either the 'netbackup stop' and 'netbackup start' (UNIX syntax) or the bpdown and bpup commands (Windows syntax).

Then check to the server.log file in the /usr/openv/db/log/ directory (UNIX), or the program files\veritas\netbackupDB\log directory (Windows), if the server.log file shows that the nbdb.db database was started, then move on to getting the nbemm logs.

You can dump the last 15 minutes from the nbemm logs with the following vxlogview command.  You can run vxlogview from the netbackup/bin/ directory with the following syntax:

vxlogview -p 51216 -o 111 -d all -t 00:15:00 > nbemm.txt

Investigate the nbemm.txt file for clues, possible problems may include:
Full file system - Clean up some disk space
ODBC driver mismatches - http://support.veritas.com/docs/281817
EMM schema mismatches - http://support.veritas.com/docs/292011

Good luck

-Sean

Reagan
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified
The EMM server runs on the master server and I believe contains the database for backup images, media, and storage devices.

The impact is obviously bad if the EMM server goes down.

The 1st thing to do is stop and restart all Netbackup services and pray that Netbackup starts up again.

If /opt/openv is full, then free up some space.  The catalog might be corrupted and in need of some cleaning up.

Any issues dealing with the catalog, I recommend calling Symantec for their expert advice.