cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to remove a tape that is going bad.

trippeer
Level 3

My library is reporting to me that one of my NetBackup tapes is going bad. I need to move the images off of that tape and pull the tape out of the library. What is the best way to do this?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

duplicate the images to another volume & eject the old tape

easiest way is via the GUI

Catalog > Action: Duplicate > Media ID: OLDTAPE > Date/Time Range: (be sure to go back far enough to capture all images) > Search Now > Select all images (Ctrl-A) > Right-click > Duplicate

select Storage Unit, Volume Pool, Retention, etc. > OK

once the duplication is done, go to

Media and Device Management > Media > highlight the old tape > right-click > Eject Volume from Robot

View solution in original post

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Freeze the media 

bpmedia -freeze -m {BARCODE}

Investigate when tape expire and shelf the tape until all images are expired. With a little luck no one need the backup contained on the tape.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Will_Restore
Level 6

duplicate the images to another volume & eject the old tape

easiest way is via the GUI

Catalog > Action: Duplicate > Media ID: OLDTAPE > Date/Time Range: (be sure to go back far enough to capture all images) > Search Now > Select all images (Ctrl-A) > Right-click > Duplicate

select Storage Unit, Volume Pool, Retention, etc. > OK

once the duplication is done, go to

Media and Device Management > Media > highlight the old tape > right-click > Eject Volume from Robot

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

bpduplicate -id <tape_id> -dstunit <storage_unit_to_duplicate_all_images_too>

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Freeze the media 

bpmedia -freeze -m {BARCODE}

Investigate when tape expire and shelf the tape until all images are expired. With a little luck no one need the backup contained on the tape.