cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to set up a catalog backup to write two sets of tapes

Alun
Level 4

**** Moved to new discussion from https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-catalog-backup-question  ***

Hi,

Are you able to point me to a KB article or even another thread that describes setting up a catalog backup to write two sets of tapes in two different sites and records the details of both sets of tapes in the DR file?

We have a clustered master server configuration across two sites and wish to protect the catalog to a remote site no matter which site the master server is active from.

Our media servers in site one have no access to tape drives in site two and vice versa.

I've tried searching, reviewing the admin guides and even experimented locally without much success.

Many thanks,

Alun.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If the media servers are controlled by the same master just setup two catalog backup policies (that run a different times) - one that uses a media server on one site with tapes held at that site and one that uses a media server and tapes at the other site. (The tapes could all be in the CatalogBackup pool as long as each site has them in their libraries)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If the media servers are controlled by the same master just setup two catalog backup policies (that run a different times) - one that uses a media server on one site with tapes held at that site and one that uses a media server and tapes at the other site. (The tapes could all be in the CatalogBackup pool as long as each site has them in their libraries)

danpritts
Level 3

I've got a smaller installation - single site, single tape jukebox, one server for master and media. running 7.5.0.(6?) on RHEL.

I told the catalog backup policy to make two copies, thinking it would use two tapes.  Nope, it just made two copies on the same tape.  Doh.

I guess I could script up a duplication to another tape, or set up a second catalog backup policy with another volume pool.  Both seem awfully kludgy.  

Funny thing is I recall that at my last job, the netbackup catalog backup wizard automatically set things up to work this way, or to alternate tapes, or something.  Definitely had two separate, actively used catalog tapes, and it screamed if it only had one.  

Any other suggestions?  Anything I'm missing?