cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to update device drivers of tape drives

Sharad_Singh7
Level 4

Hello ,

Can anyone help me on how to update device drivers of tape drives.

Media Server OS --- Solaris

Tape Library ---- ACSLS

Netbackup Version ---- 6.5.5

Netbackup version can not be updated so just need to update drivers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Hard errors, either read or write has to do with the maintenance status of the drive.

I expect you in the sys log see sence status code 0x03 and 0x04. Thease are the tape drive saying "I can't read/write" this tape. A update of device driver will not change anything it like chaning a telephone when the land line is bad.

A list of SCSI sence key can be found at wikipedia 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_Code_Qualifier

Try using a cleanng tape, if this doesn't help you need to call Oracle and let them replace the drives. Feel free to post some of the scsi sence keys involved from syslog/messages or where ever the OS stores such data.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Why do you need to update device drivers ?

I am missing the background for this request.

Sharad_Singh7
Level 4

Hello Nioclai,

I am getting hard errors , write and read warnings on alomost every drive configured on media servers.

I have read so many TN in which updating of drivers has been recommended.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Hard errors, either read or write has to do with the maintenance status of the drive.

I expect you in the sys log see sence status code 0x03 and 0x04. Thease are the tape drive saying "I can't read/write" this tape. A update of device driver will not change anything it like chaning a telephone when the land line is bad.

A list of SCSI sence key can be found at wikipedia 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_Code_Qualifier

Try using a cleanng tape, if this doesn't help you need to call Oracle and let them replace the drives. Feel free to post some of the scsi sence keys involved from syslog/messages or where ever the OS stores such data.