cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to upgrade from 8.1.2 to 10.0.0.1 and upgrade to windows 2019R2

Slartybardfast
Level 5

Good afternoon All,

We need to move to the latest version of NetBackup (10.0.0.1) from 8.1.2 and upgrade to windows 2019R2 at the same time. The company wants to reuse the hardware platform. So I am looking at what is the safest and shortest downtime route. My thoughts were the following grab all the configuration data and tuning files etc. Carryout a full catalogue backup. Rebuild server as 2019R2 and then using the drpkg carryout a DR of the master using version 10.0.0.1. In everyone's expert opinion a reasonable process. Or do I have to do the DR with version 8.1.2 first then upgrade to version 10.0.0.1? Your guidance is greatly appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You can not backup netbackup database of on version and restore it to another version.

You have to install 8.1.2, restore the database, test it and then upgrade to 10.

Check the possibility to upgrade windows from 2016 to 2019 directly. One of my customer did it successfully.

View solution in original post

Nick_Morris
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Certified

Windows 2019 is first supported as a NetBackup master and/or media server from version 8.2. As you are currently on 8.1.2, then the shortest upgrade path would be to upgrade current 2012 server to 10.0.0.1 and then upgrade/rebuild the OS after.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

StefanosM
Level 6
You can not backup netbackup database of on version and restore it to another version.

You have to install 8.1.2, restore the database, test it and then upgrade to 10.

Check the possibility to upgrade windows from 2016 to 2019 directly. One of my customer did it successfully.

Slartybardfast
Level 5

Thanks for the clarification on having to DR back to the same version, then upgrade to version 10.x

We are running windows 2012R2 and will be going to 2019R2 are you suggesting an in place upgrade of the OS. I am not a huge fan of that approach and in the past have seen all sorts of peculiar behavior for in place upgrades. Mind you that was quite a few versions back of windows the windows 2k3 to 2k8 days. I never did any in place upgrades after that.  

StefanosM
Level 6
Me too.
I never upgrade the OS.
But, as I told you, one of my customer did it. But from 2016 to 2019.
He told me that microsoft upgrade is "doable" now.
I do not suggest it with 2012. Do what you know better.

Nick_Morris
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Certified

Windows 2019 is first supported as a NetBackup master and/or media server from version 8.2. As you are currently on 8.1.2, then the shortest upgrade path would be to upgrade current 2012 server to 10.0.0.1 and then upgrade/rebuild the OS after.

Slartybardfast
Level 5

Thank you to StefanosM and Nick_Morris

llang
Level 3

We had a similar situation. NB was already 8.2 so we went from 2012R2 to 2019 with no issue (our master is virtual). After that we updated to 9.1.0.1. This config is now running several monts without a single problem.

Hey @llang I'm glad read this, because next week we gonna do upgrade our operation system, NBU was 8.1.2 this week we did update for version 8.2 so next week we gonna upgrade to Win2012 for Win2019, my server is a physical host, so we gonna do upgrade in place.

llang
Level 3

Our OS upgrade was also done InPlace. But yes, having a virtual master makes the things easier.