cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to use all 8 characters for media ID

natashayansari
Level 2

We are getting a new robot which will use LTO6 tapes, but will be able to read LTO4. On our old one we are using LTO3 and LTO4.

So can I use all 8 barcode chars as media ID? I do not want to create conflict between for example: 000001L4 and 000001L6.

Or should I use the last 6 chars (0001L6).

Thank you.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

For the sake of a few $ for the first few batches of custom labels instead you are considering a world of pain.  And anyway, anyone considering purchasing a large quantity of tape media would order them pre-labelled anyway.

Are you going to use more 100,000 media via the new library ?

Why not use 600000L6 to 699999L6 as your range for the new library?  That's 100,000 media there alone.

And if you use 1-9 and A-Z as new leading characters, then you will have a set of 35 * 100,000 media, i.e. 3,500,000 media.

Personally I do not understand why you are considering deploying new media that use the same starting six characters as existing media.

Better still would be to use a smaller range to start with, and build up, so consider perhaps only 5,000 media initially - e.g. 600000L6 to 604999L6.

View solution in original post

X2
   VIP   

There will be much more experienced community members who will chime in. I would suggest to use media generation rules as without media generation rules, NetBackup will use last 6 characters to generate media IDs.

Also, depending on your environment, you can have alphanumric characters in there too. E.g. in my library, I have two partitions and media IDs are of type A#####, Z##### with barcodes being A#####L7 and Z#####L7. The media generation rules is: Length 8, 1:2:3:4:5:6 and a barcode tag A or Z.

Also, I ordered the media ID's in colour. Each digit has a specific colour on the sticker, so they are easier to distinguish if without colour.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@natashayansari wrote:

So can I use all 8 barcode chars as media ID? 

To answer your question:
No. It is not possible to use all 8 characters. 

The NBU Media ID field can only store 6 characters. Your only choice in this is to choose which 6 characters (via Media ID Generation Rules).

You have received excellent advice in previous replies. 
Purchase custom labels or use last 6 characters.

9 REPLIES 9

sdo

For the sake of a few $ for the first few batches of custom labels instead you are considering a world of pain.  And anyway, anyone considering purchasing a large quantity of tape media would order them pre-labelled anyway.

Are you going to use more 100,000 media via the new library ?

Why not use 600000L6 to 699999L6 as your range for the new library?  That's 100,000 media there alone.

And if you use 1-9 and A-Z as new leading characters, then you will have a set of 35 * 100,000 media, i.e. 3,500,000 media.

Personally I do not understand why you are considering deploying new media that use the same starting six characters as existing media.

Better still would be to use a smaller range to start with, and build up, so consider perhaps only 5,000 media initially - e.g. 600000L6 to 604999L6.

sdo

Remember tape media are essentially a disposable commodity at the end of their life-span.  Don't waste time trying to micro manage tape labels.  Just get the next numbers   be they  L1 to L8  suffix - it makes no difference logically.   All you have to control is which actual physical media enter which physical library - the numbers on the barcodes are larely meaningless.

Here's something I saw someone do once...

...they had three sites, each with different libraries :

A00000L1 to A09999L1   for 10,000 LTO1 media at site A

B00000L2 to B09999L2   for 10,000 LTO2 media at site B

C00000L3 to C09999L3   for 10,000 LTO3 media at site C

X2
   VIP   

There will be much more experienced community members who will chime in. I would suggest to use media generation rules as without media generation rules, NetBackup will use last 6 characters to generate media IDs.

Also, depending on your environment, you can have alphanumric characters in there too. E.g. in my library, I have two partitions and media IDs are of type A#####, Z##### with barcodes being A#####L7 and Z#####L7. The media generation rules is: Length 8, 1:2:3:4:5:6 and a barcode tag A or Z.

Also, I ordered the media ID's in colour. Each digit has a specific colour on the sticker, so they are easier to distinguish if without colour.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

What you're forgetting is that you already have images on the old media i.e. the mediaID has been set , and it cannot be changed without expiring and relabling the media. So you'll need to make sure the barcodes don't overlap.

Marianne

@natashayansari wrote:

So can I use all 8 barcode chars as media ID? 

To answer your question:
No. It is not possible to use all 8 characters. 

The NBU Media ID field can only store 6 characters. Your only choice in this is to choose which 6 characters (via Media ID Generation Rules).

You have received excellent advice in previous replies. 
Purchase custom labels or use last 6 characters.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The media type should in my view NOT be a part of the barcode.

Leave out the L1 to L8  - you don't need it. If you are in control with tape labels, you will know what ranges are what media types.

natashayansari
Level 2

Thank you all. Appreciate all input. I might go with preceding characters 8 #A:2:3:4:5:6

We are a community college, and it will not be any time soon when we go over 500 tapes :)

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Agreed ...

You should have a letter, or letter as the first two characters that 'define'the NetBackup environment, or location.

eg

AA0001L6

That way, if you have two enviroments, you wouldn't get duplicate barcodes 

AA0001L6

BB0001L6

sdo

...or... if letting NetBackup default to using only trailing 6 chars of media label...

...then, we need three alpha at the start, i.e. sets of :

first media label of AAA001L1 - will give a barcode of A001L1

first media label of BBB001L1 - will give a barcode of B001L1