cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need your valuable suggessions

Sriram
Level 6

Brief background:

1. We have netbackup mater 7.0 installed on a Windows 2008 x86-64 SP1 virtual machine

2. There are two virtual HBA cards (Hardware used for virtualization is CISCO UCS B200 blades)

3. We have a physical TL (TS3200) and a VTL (Sepaton S2100 ES2)

4. We have two Brocade SAN fabrics  

5. There are 2 physical drives and 2 VTL port connection going out to SAN fabrics

6. We zoned 1hostHBA+1TLdrive+1VTLport on one fabric and another hostHBA + another-TL-drive + another-VTL-port on the other fabric

7. Win 2008 OS is able to see the drives and two medium changer under the device manager.

8. Windows has automatically installed microsoft driver for tape drives

Issue we are facing:

1.  scan -tape or scan -changer is showing the changer and the tape drives but initially its giving "bus0 target0 lun0, I/O device error :1117 ......." after this message it shows up the changer and the drives

2. We were able to configure the robots and the drives, but when we try to inventory robot its giving following sequence of errors:

a) When we expand "Devices" and click the robot and right click the TLD to inventory first it gives error saying "cannot connect to oprd Network protocol error (39)"

b) When we go beyong this it opens inventory robot screen.  Here we intermitantly facing errors such as, "cannot connect to robotic daemon (222)", some times its able to inventory the tapes.

3. robtest is showing ioctl error while trying to connect to the robots.

4. Tried running a test backup with VTL and TL, its connects, picksup the tape, says its mounting tape VT00000 and it hangs.  There is no progress after this.

I would like your comments on the issue we are facing.  what might be the bottleneck here causing these issues like ( tape driver issue, connectivity issues etc).

I would appreciate your thoughts on this and it would really help us a lot on the crisis situation we are in at the moment.

Thanks
Sri

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The user who replied to your post stated the following

"Even still this does not make sense because you would be paying for a full media server license, but putting the master server in an environment where it could not be fully utilized as a media server."

It might not have been clear to you but what he probably meant by "not be fully utilized as a media server" was that you can only use Disk Storage Units, and not Tape Storage units.

I agree with Marianne, please try and move your install to physical if possible at all.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne

Pity you did not ask for advice before deploying this solution....

Tape/library devices are not supported in a virtual environment:

Statement of Support for NetBackup 7 in a Virtual Environment ( Virtualization Technologies :(    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089

Media server support is limited to disk storage units.

The problems that you are experiencing is probably the reason why it's not supported.

Your choices are as follows:

1. Install master/media on a physical machine.
  2. Keep the master server on virtual and install media server on physical machine (additional license will be needed unless you have capacity based licensed).

Sriram
Level 6

Yes I did ask ........ you can see my posting "Netbackup 7.0 setup with VTL and VM"

Appreciate your suggessions on this matter.

We have 13 CISCO UCS B200 blades in our VM environment.  Each blade has 2 FCOE ports.

My scenario:

So if we dedicate a blade for master, it will have dedicated resources for it.  But its not a complete physical box, because the hardware is specially designed for VM world.

Still we need to create vHBA and vNICS for the dedicated blade, it will not act as a VM (all te resources will be dedicated)

One more thing here, entire environment is SAN bootable, so the disk is going to come from SAN

What's your opinion on this ?

Thanks,

Sri

Marianne

I cannot imagine that Symantec will approve your configuration.

Maybe open a support call and ask them? (I'm just a fellow user....)

Do you have any means to move the installation to a physical server as a test?

RiaanBadenhorst

The user who replied to your post stated the following

"Even still this does not make sense because you would be paying for a full media server license, but putting the master server in an environment where it could not be fully utilized as a media server."

It might not have been clear to you but what he probably meant by "not be fully utilized as a media server" was that you can only use Disk Storage Units, and not Tape Storage units.

I agree with Marianne, please try and move your install to physical if possible at all.

Sriram
Level 6

Yes i did open a support call, explained the environment as i did here in the post.

But they did'nt commented about this VM limitation.

By any chance do you know why a VM server is limited to disk STU, because feauture is slowly migrating to VM world.

I will definetly check with my team for this.

??

Thanks,

Sri