Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need your valuable suggestions

Rajesh_s1
Level 6
Certified

Hi All,

Current Backup Environment overview:

Onsite :  Windows 2008-R2 Netbackup 7.0 Master server with cluster environment ,  2 physical tape library and 4 virtual tape library .

Offsite : Windows 2003-64 Netbackup 7.0 Master server , 1 Physical tape library and 4 virtual tape library .

In onsite all the backup's are going to VTL and it's getting replicated to offsite location . We need to make one more copy in Tape for retention purpose at offsite location . Onsite and offsite master servers are different , how can do vaulting to tape in offsite location ? 

One option is need to import the images at offsite Master and do vaulting , this we can do but data is huge it takes long time for importing and vaulting .

second option we thought was install one media server in offsite location which belongs to Media server of Onsite master server and directly can do vaulting , but here the problem is VTL onsite and offiste media labels will be same so master server can not able to distinguish medias.

Please let me know is there any other way to work on this which helps to do vaults at offsite in easier way ...

8 REPLIES 8

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

You've got the correct idea with the 2nd option.

It just depends on which VTl you have and the features.

Scenario 1 - VTL which is integrated with Netbackup OST and NetBackup knows about the replication and hence the second copy in OFFSITE VTL. In this scenario the media ID's would probably be different and you can use the Vault option to duplicate from copy 2. As you stated the media id's will be the same in ONSITE and OFFSITE i dont think it what you have installed.

Scenario 2 -VTL which is not integrated with Netbackup OST and NetBackup is not aware of the second (duplicated) copy at OFFSITE. In this scenario, you'll need to have the media server in OFFSITE connected to VTL and PTL. Then simply move the media from TLD 0 (onsite) to TLD 1 (OFFSITE). This can be achieved by removing access (virtually ejecting it) from the VTL side in ONSIT, and assigning access (importing it) in OFFSITE. Then just run an inventory at both sites and your tape would have moved from TLD 0 to TLD 1. You can then duplicate it to TLD2 (PTL). Once you're finished, plaece the media "virtually" back into the ONSITE robot.

You'll see that you just have to perform the actions that you would normally perform is this was all physical, take the media out of ONSITE, ship it to OFFSITE, import, and then duplicate. It just happens on the virtual layer, with virtual media :)

Hope that helps.

Rajesh_s1
Level 6
Certified

Thanks Riaan , after this posting only i came to know that we can eject the tapes in onsite and once we eject that tape will be in offsite loaction .  We are using IBM VTL's 4 in onsite and 4 in offsite .

Please correct me if i am wrong ,

I will select one of the media server in offsite and share all the offsite VTL's to that and that media server will be under Onsite Master server .

I will configure that offsite VTL Robots in Onsite Master for Vaulting . I think i may need to configure Physical Robot and drives too .

I am bit confused here , in offsite Physical Tape library is under offsite Master . Do i required to share and configure that robot in both onsite and offsite master server , is it possible to do like so .

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

I dont know how your VTL is configured with replication component but you'll need to configure seperate VTL's for each domain i.e. offsite and onsite. This is because you cannot share a robot between domain unless you use something like ACSLS/Library partitioning. And even then you'll have seperate robots for each domain. Each partition (or virtual robot will only have access to the media that belongs to it). Because you have VTL is much easier, as you can just create a VTL and assign it to the master/domain that you wish. I'm just not sure whether you'll be able to move the media between robots within the VTL.

Let me explain furhter. To simplify what I mean lets just look at the one domain and the requirement related only to this duplication scenario. You'll need 1 VTL in ONSITE, and 1 VTL+1PTL in OFFSITE. These are dedicated to ONSITE domain, and cannot be shared!!!

Hardware configuration

VTL1-1 (TLD0), VTL2-1 (TLD1), PTL2-1 (TLD2) in ONSITE domain

So this is where i dont know how your VTL replicates, does it replicate everything it has, or is it based on the robot (and its media)?

Domain 1

Contains a master + media's in ONSITE  that can access TLD0

Virtual media is contained in TLD0 and replicated to TLD1. You eject from TLD0 and then its available in TLD1.

Contains media server in OFFSITE that can access TLD2

You vault/duplicate from TLD1 to TLD2

Problem here is that if you give the PTL in OFFSITE to the master (netbackup domain) in ONSITE, you cannot use it by the master (netbackup domain) in OFFSITE. Unless is possible to split/partition that PTL. Scalar I2000 and high end StorageTek Libraries can do that.

Do actually have 4 physical VTLs, or did you configure 4logical/virtual VTL within the VTL hardware? You might consider lowering this number and just having 1 or 2 bigger VTLs.

Its also less complicated if you run one domain across both sites.

Please let me know if you're following what I'm trying to explain (a picture might be easier to follow so draw it from the description above)

Rajesh_s1
Level 6
Certified

HI Riaan,

What ever you said is correct , in offsite if we would had a seperate Physical tape library then all our problem would solved . But Physical library is connected to offsite Master server .

We have separate VTL's in onsite and Offsite

Onsite :

Virtual : VTL-A , VTL-B , VTL-C & VTL-D

Physical : TLD-0 and TLD-1

Offsite :

Virtual : VTL-E , VTL-F , VTL-G & VTL-H

Physical : TLD-3

Hope you understand our backup archicture . In onsite and offsite we have seperate VTL's and as well as Physical library . In offsite location we have some backups which goes once in a week to Physical library . Offsite VTL's are configured only for the DR purpose and from that we need to Vault and move the data to Tape .

If we would had a seperate physical library in offsite then it was very easy to share that to onsite Netbackup domain through one of the media server and vault directly but that is shared to offsite Netbackup domain too.

I can't able to share same physical library in offsite and onsite, this is the only one confusion making more complicated

Regards,

Rajesh

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi Rajesh,

I understand your limitation, and you do too. I think you understand that your problem is related the not having another PTL in Offsite (or that you're running 2 domains).

What PTL do youu have in offsite? Maybe it can be partitioned?

Without addressing this you're stuck.

R

Rajesh_s1
Level 6
Certified

We are using SL-500 Library

Regards,

rajesh

RiaanBadenhorst

The SL-500 can be partitioned. I suspect you'll need a license for it, but thats cheaper than buying a whole new library. You'll also need to place a media server belonging to ONSITE domain there.

I hope that helps, unfortunately there is no easy fix.

Rajesh_s1
Level 6
Certified

Thanks a lot Riaan for you valuable suggestions...

Regards,

rajesh