cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needing "The Details" - upgrade from 7.0 to 7.1 then 7.1.0.2,

pmc214
Level 5

Hello,

My company is currently on 7.0, wanting to upgrade to 7.1 and now i see there is a 7.1.0.2 pack as well.

If someone would be so kind as to detail the process it would be greatly appreciated.

I have downloaded the split files and jointed and checked them. I will be applying this to the Master Server and out OpsCenter server.

I have read thru the install documents..... is it truly that easy?

Thanks in advance for all help / opinions / suggestions / direction! I certainly can use it!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

As long as you have checked all of your pre-reqs then it is fairly straight forward.

Go to 7.1 then apply 7.1.0.2, Then OpsCenter 7.1 followed by 7.1.0.2.

Also depends on your O/S as if it is unix based you need to be very careful during the untar of the download - see this tech note:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH154080

The release notes are also not completely clear whether on Solaris you need to do a pkgrm if going from 7.0 to 7.1 - but you do, however if your run the ./install first it will do a nice clean shutdown of everything and shut down all processes after which you can exit the installer - do a pkgrm SYMCnetbp and then run the installer again.

Read all of the release notes and installation guides!

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Hi

As long as you have checked all of your pre-reqs then it is fairly straight forward.

Go to 7.1 then apply 7.1.0.2, Then OpsCenter 7.1 followed by 7.1.0.2.

Also depends on your O/S as if it is unix based you need to be very careful during the untar of the download - see this tech note:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH154080

The release notes are also not completely clear whether on Solaris you need to do a pkgrm if going from 7.0 to 7.1 - but you do, however if your run the ./install first it will do a nice clean shutdown of everything and shut down all processes after which you can exit the installer - do a pkgrm SYMCnetbp and then run the installer again.

Read all of the release notes and installation guides!

Hope this helps

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It always helps if you mention your OS version.

As Mark pointed out above - there are some upgrade considerations for specific OS versions.

Upgrade is really 'as easy as' the upgrade steps in the Install Guides (there is one for Windows and another for Unix/Linux).

Please also read through the Upgrade Portal http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74584 as well as 7.1 Late Breaking News: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH153422 before you start.
Oh - and confirm compatibilities as well:  MASTER Compatibility list: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH59978 

pmc214
Level 5

ah, yes... the master and ops servers are Windows Ent.Server 2003 SP2 32bit, we do have a few Redhat clients tho.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Your Master and Ops Cener will be fine - just click Next!

However, one thing i did mean to say is that you should upgrade all of your licenses in the Symantec Licensing Portal and add Main  NetBakup Server key during installation and all other keys when you get to the last screen and it gives that option.

This ensures that any new features provided in 7.1 will get activated - you get the service restart to register these new keys when you 7.1.0.2 (which really is click Next!)

For the RedHat clients there shouldnt be an issue as the use the CLT downloads which are not subject to the tar issue (did it yesterday for a client)

Again, just read the instructions in the README file in the download to get the proceedure right - the installation script will guide you after that.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Just one other thing ... When you run browser.exe you will see second down on the left hand side an installation checker which you can use to do a prerequisites check before starting the upgrade And of course do a catalog backup before you start Hope this helps

pmc214
Level 5

regarding licensing.. i received a very, very  long list of of licensce keys with the upgrade email. So, I am to go to the portal site and input all of those?... or is there somewhere in the upgrade to do this easily without inputting all these keys?   

Sorry for the novice questions, better asked before than during or after I imagine.

Thanks

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Go to the portal a select the upgrade button If the upgrade keys had a serial number starting in M then put that in If not just select that you don't have one and it should check for you and do then in batches You will have to repeat it a few times though Failing this go to each current license, view details and click the upgrade button It's long winded but needs doing to keep the maintenance registered Hope this helps Make sure you enter all the new keys when you do the upgrade

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The upgrade email already contains new keys - no need to add all of them on the Licensing Portal.

If you want to use new features, add one key of each type during installation.

pmc214
Level 5

Thanks for the help all.... my upgrade has been uneventful... very smooth really. Appreciate the help.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Great - don't forget to close the thread with a solution mark if you feel it appropriate