Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Net Backup License

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Need some help.

I have a client who is keeping the NBU in his environment just for the restore purpose of long term retention. He has just 1 master server running on 7.6.0.4.

Recently there are some vulnerabilities detected by security team https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/security/VTS17-003.html#Issue1.

I checked and these are getting resolved in 7.7.2 /7.7.3 with EEB or in version 8.

We don't have the contract with Veritas anymore as we are just keeping that server for restore purposes. 

Can Veritas help us to provide the upgrade package and we can use the same license ? Please help with your valuable inputs.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hi

I do speak under correction - but when I was working in a company which was VRTS partner I was told that if you will stop paying maintenance fee to VRTS you can use NBU release which was available at the last day of your active maintenance. Having said that (if I am correct) you should check if on the day when your maintenace did expire there was already on the market 7.7.2 (which is having the fix you want to have)... If it was not you can not patch if it was my take is you can - but again it passed long time since when I was working in the other company.

If you will find out you cannot patch it - just turn off this legacy env and power it up only when restore request will come.

View solution in original post

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

My guess is that the 7.6 license will work, but where will you obtain 7.7.x software without appropriate 7.7.x entitlement?

andrew_mcc1
Level 6
   VIP   

I believe this situation is a NetBackup 7.6 KEY will work on version 7.7 & 8.0, however a key is not a license and you would NOT be licensed to run 7.7 or 8.0. You will also not be able to download the full media release needed for the upgrade.

I believe your options are to either to renew the license for the remaining server or take measures to mitigate the vulnerabilities and run the older (unsupported) version. Presumably if it is only used for restores it can be switched off much of the time?

Andrew

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
You will need to as Veritas directly.
Most users on this forum are not Veritas employees.

sksujeet
Level 6

Thanks for the prompt reply Marianne as always. I called Veritas licensing and they are asking to purchase the contract again which doesn't make sense as we have just 1 server and used for restore purposes only for our long term backups. 

Do you have any idea if 7.6 license can be used on 7.7 and if it is legitimate ? Any other thoughts ...

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hi

I do speak under correction - but when I was working in a company which was VRTS partner I was told that if you will stop paying maintenance fee to VRTS you can use NBU release which was available at the last day of your active maintenance. Having said that (if I am correct) you should check if on the day when your maintenace did expire there was already on the market 7.7.2 (which is having the fix you want to have)... If it was not you can not patch if it was my take is you can - but again it passed long time since when I was working in the other company.

If you will find out you cannot patch it - just turn off this legacy env and power it up only when restore request will come.

Marianne

My guess is that the 7.6 license will work, but where will you obtain 7.7.x software without appropriate 7.7.x entitlement?

andrew_mcc1
Level 6
   VIP   

I believe this situation is a NetBackup 7.6 KEY will work on version 7.7 & 8.0, however a key is not a license and you would NOT be licensed to run 7.7 or 8.0. You will also not be able to download the full media release needed for the upgrade.

I believe your options are to either to renew the license for the remaining server or take measures to mitigate the vulnerabilities and run the older (unsupported) version. Presumably if it is only used for restores it can be switched off much of the time?

Andrew

sclind
   VIP   

Powering up when you need a restore makes a lot of sense.

sksujeet
Level 6

Thanks everyone. I have the download available for 7.7 from other environment. So let me test and upgrade this then.

Shutdown is not the option. My challenge is that IT guys are saying either upgrade or remove the server from the n/w. Because if you switch on the server at any time it would be risk to the enironment.

After Wannycry attack security guys want everything to be patched and updated or removed from n/w.