cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Net backup 6.5.5 compatible with IBM ULT3580 TD4

Lisa804u
Level 3

Hi ,

I am having Windows 2003 standard with SP2 server .on this server Veritas NEtbackup 6.5.5 Ver is running ....

Ealier on this IBM LTO -2 drive is connected . Now we had procure IBM ULT3580 TD4 -SAS ,Is this device is compatible with Veritas...

I had configure the same but some time i am getting media write error(84)

PLease help..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
CRC errors on brand new tapes? These errors are normally seen on old tapes that are no longer trustworthy.
All I can suggest is that you work through the suggestions in the Status 84 In-Depth Troubleshooting Guide.

Extract:
As an application, NetBackup has no direct access to a device, instead relying on the operating system (OS) to handle any communication with the device. This means that during a write operation NetBackup asks the OS to write to the device and report back the success or failure of
that operation. If there is a failure, NetBackup will merely report that a failure occurred, and any troubleshooting should start at the OS level. If the OS is unable to perform the write, there are three likely causes; OS configuration, a problem on the SCSI path, or a problem with the device.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Check the Device Compatibility Guide: ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/284599.pdf
From what I can see, it is not supported.... Only Ultrium 3 on W2003 Enterprise Edition.
Did you check with IBM and Symantec before purchasing the drives?

Lisa804u
Level 3
NO ... but how can we proceed with this... we are able to take backup but sometimes it is giving error (CRC) i.e.  media write error(84)

Marianne
Level 6
CRC errors on brand new tapes? These errors are normally seen on old tapes that are no longer trustworthy.
All I can suggest is that you work through the suggestions in the Status 84 In-Depth Troubleshooting Guide.

Extract:
As an application, NetBackup has no direct access to a device, instead relying on the operating system (OS) to handle any communication with the device. This means that during a write operation NetBackup asks the OS to write to the device and report back the success or failure of
that operation. If there is a failure, NetBackup will merely report that a failure occurred, and any troubleshooting should start at the OS level. If the OS is unable to perform the write, there are three likely causes; OS configuration, a problem on the SCSI path, or a problem with the device.

Lisa804u
Level 3
Hi i able to resolve problem lies with LTO Device.... after replacing the same with another one backup working fine on same media....

thanx    ....