cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBack 6.5 Error!!!

kbadoni-123
Level 2
Hi Admins,

Thanks for your always support and help. The problem is data is not written in the Drives.

I have the following setup:

I am using the Netbackup 6.5 ver for backup with windows 2k3 plateform. My Master & Media server is in the same server.
The master server is attached with HP MSL 6000 Robotic Library. The problem is when I am trying to backup the status shows "writing" from backup console but nothing is written in the tape. What may be the problem, it doesn't shows any error.
Might be the Licence problem???
Please suggest, thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6
Use the following guidelines when you install UNIX clients:

The gzip and the gunzip commands must be installed on each system. The directories where the commands are installed must be part of the root user’s PATHenvironment variable setting.

For local installations:

You must install the client software locally if remote installation is not possible. Remote installation is not possible if your NetBackup server runs Windows 2000/2003 Server. Firewalls can also prevent remote installation.

To install clients to a location other than the default, you must create and link the directory before you install the client software. First create the directory where you want the software to reside, and then create /usr/openv as a link to that directory.

On IBM zSeries Linux clients, you must transfer the NetBackup CD image contents to a location that is readable by the virtual Linux environment. You can transfer the image with FTP or NFS mounting commands.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Can you please explain why you think data is not written to tape. Have you run a verify on the media "not written".

You can also do:

Media Contents Report
The Media Contents report shows the contents of a volume as read directly from the media header and backup headers. This report lists the backup IDs (not each individual file) that are on a single volume. If a tape has to be mounted, there will be a longer delay before the report appears.
# bpmedialist -U -mcontents [-m <media_id>]

kbadoni-123
Level 2
Hi Nicolai,

Thx for the reply.

Well, I checked the tape contents it was the same like when it was before. 

The Library shows likewise: Mounting.... then Positioning .... then writing....but actually nothing is written in tape. Even Library show it's status idle when from the backup colsole it shows data is writing in tape.

Please can you suggest. Waiting for your kind reply.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Is this a new set-up?
Has this backup ever worked?
What are you trying to backup?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Does the backup fail with an error? You should at least see a timeout error if no data is received from the client.
You need to check logs to see what is happening from NBU perspective - bpbkar on the client (to see if data is collected and sent) and bptm on the media server (to see if data is received and written to tape).

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
Have you watched the ENTIRE backup ?. A backup of a Windows box start with System_State/ShadowCopyComponenets and this is a lengthy and slow  process that looks like nothing is being written to tape, but when the plain files is reached you should see the file counter increasing.

Another thing to look for: Have you a exclude list in place that excludes more than you like ?

James_Perry
Level 4
HP provides a free product called HP Library and Tape Tools that is free to download and use for HP OEM libraries.  It will allow you to do various levels of testing to ensure that you can read/write to the tape drives as well as pull diagnostic logs.  Also it allows you to update the drives and library firmware.

If you are having issues with NetBackup and the library then this will give an external utility you can run on this host to verify proper setup and communications to the hardware.  It should quickly help isolate if it is is NetBackup, OS, or tape library setups.  If nothing else it gives you a way to look at the tape library and drive error logs when you have hardware failures.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I am with Nicolai, some backups will not show that it is doing anything when it really is.

So what kind of backup are you doing.

Have you tried to just back one directory of the server and verify that works?

kbadoni-123
Level 2
Hi Andy,

Yes this is new setup. Never before it worked. I am trying to take backup of Master Server's logical drives data.

kbadoni-123
Level 2
Hi All Admins,

Glad to see from you all the best solutions. I am thanking to you all.
Now finally I managed to run the backup using Net Backup 6.5 with the Robotic Library. Now it is working fine with windows clients machines. I am able to take backup. Actually there was problem with Robotic itself.
Anyway thanks for all again for nice solutions.

But Again, I am facing problem with the Linux based Servers, I am not able to add in Master Netbackup Server. The setup is as:

Master Netbackup Server & Media Server is the same Server and it is running with windows based OS (Win 2k3 R2 SP2). I am using Veritas Nebackup 6.5 for this server.
Now we have some Linux (SUSE 10, SUSE11) based server (Lotus & Webmail) and I want to add these servers with my Master Netbackup Server so that I can take the backup from these. But I don't have the idea how to add & push the agent on these Linux servers from Master Netbackup Server which is windows based. 

Just I am seeking the guidance. I will be grateful if somebody can guide me in this regard. Thanks in advance.

Will_Restore
Level 6
Use the following guidelines when you install UNIX clients:

The gzip and the gunzip commands must be installed on each system. The directories where the commands are installed must be part of the root user’s PATHenvironment variable setting.

For local installations:

You must install the client software locally if remote installation is not possible. Remote installation is not possible if your NetBackup server runs Windows 2000/2003 Server. Firewalls can also prevent remote installation.

To install clients to a location other than the default, you must create and link the directory before you install the client software. First create the directory where you want the software to reside, and then create /usr/openv as a link to that directory.

On IBM zSeries Linux clients, you must transfer the NetBackup CD image contents to a location that is readable by the virtual Linux environment. You can transfer the image with FTP or NFS mounting commands.

Will_Restore
Level 6

The following procedure installs the NetBackup client software on a local machine.

To install client software locally on a UNIX client

1 Insert the NetBackup client CD into the drive on the client computer and mount it.

2 Change your working directory to the CD directory if you have a CD, or to the directory that contains the downloaded files:
cd /cd_mount_point
The cd_mount_point is the path to the directory where you can access the CD.

3 Enter the following command to execute the installation script:
./install
The client binaries represent the operating system versions where the binaries were compiled. Often, the binaries function perfectly on later versions of the operating system. For example, Solaris 9 binaries also are used on the Solaris 10 level of the operating system. The installation procedure attempts to load the appropriate binaries for your system. If the script does not recognize the local operating system, it presents choices.

4 Follow the prompts to complete the installation.

5 After the installation is complete, unmount the client CD.