Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackUp Best Practices

Dishant
Level 5
Partner Accredited

How can I decide on the following parameters

1) Type of Backup (Tape, disk, puredisk), retention for Production, Development and UAT servers.
3) Type of backup to be taken for the servers like SQL, Oracle, Web, Application, SAP, Sharepoint, File, VMware, Hyper-V, Exchange

6 REPLIES 6

Dishant
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Dear Team,

Awating for your valuable inputs.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Depends entirely upon your environment and business requirements.

What could be right for one will be totally inappropriate for another.

Dishant
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Andy,

I need to prepare a guideline document for one of my client. So can you just throw some inputs.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

but none may be appropriate to your customer, as I know absolutely nothing about their environment nor their business requirements.

e.g. they may need to keep their data for 1, 2, 7, 25 years or indefinately or I could suggest a library with 100s of drives & thousands of tapes & they may only have a couple of clients or vice versa.

You maybe just need to sit down & discuss what NetBackup can offer in relation to their needs i.e. what you've already mentioned in your original post etc.

UFO
Level 6

Andy is right. It all depends on what infrastructure does the customer have. If you plan to discover this - be sure to ask your customer about network capacity they have: how fast are channels between the storage and endpoints to backup, where could be a bottleneck. This is thing to consider among others.

jas123
Level 4
Employee

Hi Dishant,

If you  give us as much information as possible, I am sure we can help point you and your client in the right direction.

Jason