cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 6.5.4 and VCB 1.5 connectivity issues

jdoll66
Level 3
New to NetBackup.  Actually have another team that is responsible for it.  I'm the VMware admin.  Okay, here's what I have.  A NetBackup 6.5.4 Master server, a NetBackup 6.5.4 media server, a VCB Proxy server (1.5), and a vCenter server, all separate machines with the vCenter server being virutal itself.  I'm running ESX 4.0 hosts on vCenter 4.0...

I've gone into the admin console on the NetBackup master and have added the VCB proxy server to master and also identified the vCenter server under Media & Device management credentials (virtual machine servers).

All the config seems up-to-date.  Howerver, if I try to create a snapshot backup policy under VMware machine type and browse for the VMs, I get a "server not allowed access(46)" message.
Am I missing something here?  The VCB proxy is also a NetBackup 6.5.4 client.....can't see it on the master client list, though. 

Any and all help is appreciated.  Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
make sure that you have your master server in the proxy's server list and proxy server in your master server's server list (if it's a media server).
good idea is to check dns resolve forward and reverse zones

Anonymous
Not applicable
The VCB proxy is also a NetBackup 6.5.4 client.....can't see it on the master client list, though.
To see any client under the Host Properties>Clients view in the Admin Console it needs to be a client of a policy. As you might catch the GUI actually shows a quick panel saying 'Loading Policies''
Add the VCB proxy servername into a policy as a client and you will see it immediately under the Clients view.

Sounds like Mouse could be right, you need to add Server entries.
Admin Console > NetBackup Management > Host Properties > Master Servers > right click your master server > Properties > Servers
Add the proxy server into the Additional Servers list

jdoll66
Level 3
Thanks, guys.  Have my networking crew looking into DNS right now.  Not getting the expected reuslts there.

Just to clarify, the VCB proxy is stand-alone.  Not a media server.  On the NetBackup master server, the VCB Proxy and the vCenter servers are identified where they should be. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
You have added complexity into the mix by not having the proxy server and media server together.
Symantec Best Practices are that the VCB Proxy and Media Server are installed on the same server.
BTW I would update to VCB 1.5 Update 1, stated in this doc as minimum requirement for vSphere
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/312604.htm

Back to your original problem, you cannot list VM's.
Go to the VCB Proxy and from there use the VCB Framework files to troubleshoot.

Can you retrieve lists of VM's from this server. If so work back from there into the Netbackup config.

Use the command vcbVmName  which is the VM locator utility - Searches for VMs visible to VCB proxy and obtain basic VM identification information.

Ideally converge, VCB Proxy and Media Server into the one machine. This machine is a client also.

References:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/312604.htm
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/322769.htm
http://viops.vmware.com/home/docs/DOC-1392

jdoll66
Level 3
Well, unfortunately in my case, the VCB proxy server came first.  NetBackup was just introduced to the mix.
I see the only drawback in that the proxy has to pull the backups of the VMs from the LUNs (fc hba) and then pass the stuff on to the media server over the LAN.  any other potential drawback by not having the vcb the media server as well?

I'm still trying to get feedback from my networking crew as to why reverse DNS seems to be failing. 

Thanks again,

jdoll66
Level 3
Update.  Have my networking team clearing up some DNS and ADS issues in regards to the NetBackup Master server.

My VCB proxy server is functional.   I currently use it to backup to a de-dup device.  So, I know that the link between it and the vCenter server is all setup correctly.  Now for NetBackup, I specify the VCB proxy server in the properties of the Master server.   The vCenter server is configured under Credentials in Media and Device Management?  What else is needed?  The licensing seems to all be there.

why then do am I unable to browse the VMs when I try to create a snapshot backup policy?

Again, the Master server is 6.5.4....the VCB proxy is a 6.5.4 client.