cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 6.5 HP-UX 11.31 Bug: Etrack 1668477

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified
I just wanted to post this in the forum in case anybody else has this problem and is searching for a solution/work-a-around.

I was getting status 13, and ioctl timeouts and what not ...  This is what I found out:

On HP-UX IA64 11.31 clients with VxFS 5.0, backups will not work without the following entry in the bp.conf:

IGNORE_XATTR = YES

Reason:

There is a defect in bpbkar that causes the process to hang when is tries to open /dev/ttyp[0-9]. The reason is VxFS 5.0 “extended attributes”. Bpbkar first checks file system type and version, if VxFS 5.0 is detected, then a flag is set and “extended attributes” will be verified for each file. HP-UX treats /dev/ttyp as CHR so when bpbkar check the extended attributes, another call is made and here the “open” command hangs.

(Etrack 1668477)

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/325295.htm

3 REPLIES 3

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
If you contact Symantec support and refer to Etrack 1668477 you can obtain a updated bpbkar binary that does the additional FIFO checking.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
For 6.5.3, reference Etrack 1667061 when requesting the EEB for bpbkar.
If you're running 6.5.4, you'd instead want to reference Etrack 1859393.

It might just be easier to mention TechNote 325295 and Etrack 1667080, however, since everything else should be available from that info.

Per the TechNote, this fix IS included in the upcoming 6.5.5 release update.

(I hope that was more insightful than confusing.  ;)  )

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
Thanks for the correction, I wasn't aware of the EBB availability for 6.5.4