Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
For everyone that's been waiting for 7.0.1:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/356785.htm
NetBackup 7.0.1 First Availability (FA) Program

Details:

Dear NetBackup Customer:

I am pleased to inform you that Symantec NetBackup 7.0.1 will have a First Availability (FA) program.  The FA will be available in late July, 2010.  Just as with NBU 7, Symantec is offering the opportunity to obtain and run production-ready general availability (GA) NetBackup 7.0.1 as soon as it becomes available.  Through the First Availability program, you can take advantage of the latest feature capabilities that have been made available in NetBackup.  

What are the key new features NetBackup 7.0.1?
The marquee features of NetBackup 7.0.1 include:

• Client Offline
  • Remote NDMP Multiplexing
  • OpsCenter AIX support
  • EV 9 Support
  • SharePoint 14 (Office 14) SharePoint 2010
  • VMware vSphere 4.1
  • BMR Client AIX 6.1
  • BMR Client SLES10 x64
  • BMR Client SLES11 x64
  • BMR Client support for W2008 and W2008 R2
  • BMR client support for Solaris 10 x64
  • BMR client support for HP-UX 11 v3 (11.31) IA-64
  • Z-Linux Oracle 10gR2 / Basic Client
  • SQL Server W2008R2 support
  • Linux zSeries Media Server support for Linux
  • Audit Trails Phase 1 (will be limited to using the CLI and only tracking policies and restore jobs)

IS THIS AN ALPHA OR BETA PROGRAM?
No.  First Availability software is production ready GA software that has passed stringent Symantec release and quality criteria.   This is not an Alpha or Beta program and we encourage and fully support FA code in production environments.  The First Availability program provides GA quality software to you as soon as it becomes available.

What is the DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FIRST AVAILABILTY AND GENERAL AVAILABILITY?
The First Availability program allows customer access to software at the same time that it is ready to begin the GA hosting process.  The software will be available via FileConnect/DVD Media, this will be the same version you receive through the First Availability program and no further upgrade or action is necessary.

WHEN DOES THE FIRST AVAILABILITY PROGRAM END?
NetBackup FA code is fully supported through support.  Once the GA posting is complete on the Symantec web-site, the software and the e-mail address will be removed from the download site.

What's Next?
If you are interested in participating in the Symantec NetBackup 7.0.1 FA program then please register here:
 http://symbeta.symantec.com/callout/?callid=9AEA98A0B6314437A6D14374CA077929

If you have any additional questions then please sent email to:
   mailto:DL-ENG-NBU-First-Avail@symantec.com .

For those who express an interest in participating, expect to hear from me again once the software is available for download.

Regards,
Larry Temple
16 REPLIES 16

Backup_Guy1
Level 3

Awesome.....

Douglas_A
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
This may not be the forum for it.. but what exactly is Client Offline.

Jacob
Level 4
I think client offline is for disabling a single client in a policy.

Marianne
Level 6
I hope my interpretation is correct, but that is also how I understand 'Client Offline'.

This has been a requirement for a long-long time - see Andy's post under Ideas:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/idea/deactivate-client

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

Hi.. I still have 2 cases opened regarding issues with Windows 2008 BMR on 7.0.1 Beta ;)

Marianne
Level 6
Thanks for info Marek!
I hope it gets sorted before the GA release.

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

This was discussed at the customer forum in Roseville last fall and it really is for disabling a client for things like maintenance.

In our shop, however, we've gone to a single client per policy structure so we have the feature today, and we have ability to automatically turn the policy back on - say if you want it disabled just for a weekend upgrade cycle but re-activated automatically on Monday.

Ray_Streckert
Level 2
Employee

The NetBackup Client Offline feature will give administrators a mechanism to not schedule backups for a client without having to modify policies.  If more than one client was added to a policy, the only way to not schedule backups was to remove the client from the policy.  Of course, then when the client is available again, the administrator must remember to add the client back to the policy(s) or the client would be unprotected.  The client offline feature allows the administrator to configure when the client should be automatically return to an online state, and once again be scheduled for backups.  If the client is configured in more than one policy, scheduling for the client in each of these policies will honor the offline state of the client.  Manual backups (i.e. bpbackup) will also honor the client offline state.  Other operations like Live Update jobs and restore jobs will NOT honor the offline state of a client.

Ed_Wilts
Level 6
The way they implemented this was to add it into the client properties.  So this means that if you have multiple names for the same client - something that's pretty much mandatory in any sort of cluster - this feature is still not very useful.  If NetBackup ever starts to truly support clusters, it will be a miracle...

Even
Level 5
Partner Accredited
I hate to open support cases for every issue found (probably known by the developers, but not for everybody in support) , - like that your DiskPools are missing after 7->7.0.1 upgrade in the Win AdminGui (2008 x64) . But you'll find them again using the Java-GUI... 

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

PLEASE open support cases for every issue found!  That's the whole point of the FA program!

Nefarious
Level 4

I just noticed I have this same issue when browsing about the system... I've opened a case on it. 

Windows 2003 R2 (x86)

Paramesh
Level 4
can anybody please tell me how to use audit trial ..in 7.0.1...

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/356785.htm

"...
Audit Trails Phase 1 - Track policy changes and restore jobs. Will be CLI only for this release.  Subsequent NetBackup release will leverage the OpsCenter interface.
Customer Benefit:   Better understand who changed what policies and when. Also details who executed which restore jobs and what did they restore.  When troubleshooting backup jobs - helps answer the question "what has changed"?
..."

Then if you look in the document updates http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/358356.htm

& further the Admin Guide e.g. for *NIX http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/357099.htm

There is a whole chapter (21) on "Auditing NetBackup administration" - hopefully that's what you're looking for!

Paramesh
Level 4

hi andy ,

thank u very much.it was very helpful...

Marianne
Level 6
ADMINS:

Since 7.0.1 is now GA - could you please close this thread?