cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.0.1 to many duplication jobs

curcloin
Level 4

Good Morning,

Lately I'm having an issue with my NetBackup Server (7.0.1) as normally I have had roughly 15 duplication jobs to move images over to our tape drive.  Over the past two weeks I have noticed that each day around 45 jobs are being started and unable to finish by the next time period.  Is there a way to remove any SLP's because per what I have read they will keep trying and that might be why the list of duplications keeps growing.  The real issue is that new backups are failing to disk because the images are not being moved disk to tape fast enough.

Best,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

In that case you are using basic disk staging...

Please run these and show us the outputs.. I suspect that you need your disk staging schedule to run more often to keep up with the backups:

bpstulist -U

bpschedule -U

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

From http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH170086

Cancel pending operations on selected image

nbstlutil cancel -backupid <backupid>
nbstlutil cancel -lifecycle <lifecycle>

Insted of canceling SLP duplication you should consider to suspened some of them until you got a clear view of what going on.

Activate /Inactivate SLP operations

nbstlutil inactive –lifecycle <lifecycle name>
nbstlutil inactive –backupid <backupid>
nbstlutil active –lifecycle <lifecycle name>
nbstlutil active –backupid <backupid>

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

PLEASE upgrade your environment to 7.6.

There have been MAJOR improvements to SLP across 7.1, 7.5 and 7.6.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Have you had a large data growth recently .. I have seen clients in the past who suddenly hit the "more data than I can write to tape" barrier.

If everything is working properly there is no way back from this point without investing in more hardware / media servers / tape drives.

Do check everything is OK .. just 1 or 2 tape drives being down could cause such a back log so take a look at device monitor and also check for any duplication failures.

Finally for now make sure you have as many duplications active as you have tape drives .. you may have a process stuck somewhere that needs clearing down before you can get back to normal.

RiaanBadenhorst

Agree with Mark, simply cancelling them is not a solution. You must figure out why its happening, and then address the issue. Otherwise you'll be in the same position agian in a week, month or whatever.

curcloin
Level 4

Thanks for the help,  I paused backup jobs for a day and let the duplications work through themselves.  I'm new to Netbackup and noticied that There are No policies under storage > storage lifecycle policies in the admin console.  Should we have something there?

Thanks,

Mike

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

In that case you are using basic disk staging...

Please run these and show us the outputs.. I suspect that you need your disk staging schedule to run more often to keep up with the backups:

bpstulist -U

bpschedule -U

RiaanBadenhorst

Or maybe the high/low watermarks need to be adjusted.

nathanmike
Level 4
Partner

@curcloin,

Could you please give us more information about your Netbackup infrestrucutre first (master, medi, appliances, version ...) ?

Are you using Netbackup Appliances as media server and backup storage ?

curcloin
Level 4

Thanks for help, Turns out 7 out of 10 tapes were frozen expired, I wish there was a way for it to warn you when this happens.

Marianne

Actually - there is (As per Netbackup 7.0.1 Notify when tapes are Frozen Expired )

Keep an eye on NBU Tape reports or config OpsCentre reports.