cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.1.03 - Exchange 2010 GRT

chack22
Level 4

Please don't string me up for this... yes I've read the Admin Guide, but perhaps I'm not understanding it correctly.

NBU Version 7.1.0.3

Exchange 2010 SP1 - 3 Mailbox servers, 2 CAS

Non-GRT backups are working fine, and GRT backups appear to be successful (status 0.) I'm struggling with getting all of the pieces together to be able to browse for an individual item. I'm guessing it has something do do with the CAS servers, but I'm not sure.

1. One service account was created by Exchange admins and a mailbox was created in the organization, NBU services are running as that account on each mailbox server and CAS servers. If we need one for each server, how/where do we create the mailbox for the CAS accounts? How do we account for the goofy naming rights?

2. Services for NFS were installed according to the admin guide on media servers, mailbox servers and CAS (pg. 36 of Admin guide.)

3. I'm pretty sure the impersonation steps have not been taken, but how can I confirm from my side? I can browse to the top of a mailbox (I know that's stored in the catalog now) but nothing pops up underneath. However, a restore job does kick and completes with status 0 (Selecting DAG as source and one of the CAS servers as destination.) Which log will tell me where it stops and on which server?

The videos on the Symantec site appear to be NBU 7 and Exchange 2010 (do they still apply.) I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but don't know where to start...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

chack22
Level 4

As an update, I had the Exchange admins move a mailbox off a database that was not allowing browsing to a database that appeared to allow browsing and it worked. I'm fairly confident that it has something to do with permissions granted to the NBU service account either at the mailbox server level or at the database level. Now that browsing seems to be working, have to figure out the actual restore...

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

chack22
Level 4

These are all migrated from Exchange 2003, however reading the release notes for 7.1.0.3 this EEB was included in that release. I'll see if I can get a new mailbox created in 2010 and test to be thorough. Any other thoughts?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Have they been duplicated to tape?

Sounds a silly question but one of my customers has an outstanding call for a similar issue - they exp0and prior to duplication but do not after duplication

They have currently disabled GRT duplication in order to be able to expand them

Try one before it gets duplicated and let me know

chack22
Level 4

These are not being duplicated as of yet, however they are going to a DataDomain using OST. I thought I read somewhere that Exchange 2010 to OST devices was supported in 7.1.0.1, but perhaps I'm mistaken? 

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

What fragment size do you use on the Storage Unit - i have seen this cause issues

For de-dupe storage units doing GRT i try and use a 5000MB fragment size.

Not sure about GRT to DD - sure someone will check that

chack22
Level 4

524288 is the fragment size for all of our Storage Units that write to the different DataDomains. I can test with a new Storage Group with a 5000 MB fragment size if you think it may help.

fic123
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Are your Exchange 2010 servers migrated from Exch2003/2007? There is a problem with browsing mailboxes created in older versions of Exchange. There is a hotfix for this.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH159453

To see if this is your problem create new mailbox, send few e-mails, make GRT backup of DAG, try to browse the new mailbox (or try to browse mailbox that you are sure it's created in Exch2010)

Pinku
Level 5

Try browing from CAS servers

In our environment too, they expand prior to duplication but do not after duplication.

chack22
Level 4

Sorry for the delay in re-posting, I've been trying to get our Exchange Admins to open up the BAR on the CAS servers but they seem to need step-by-step instructions.

I did try to a 5000 MB fragement size and got the same result.

chack22
Level 4

Our Exchange Admins finally got around to testing from the CAS server and they were able to browse into their mailbox. However, I tried the same mailbox from the Java GUI and could drill down as well. I'm begining to think that everything is setup correctly, but there is a permission issue causing problems on the Exchange side? There are three databases on 3 servers, and it's hit or miss on which ones I can browse. There doesn't seem to be any logic behind it from the NetBackup side. Are there logs that would help point to a permission issue?

Pinku
Level 5

It's not related to permissions....

it happenes with certain environments....or you can say bug with the product, as it is very common issue with exchange environments.

You can also expect a maintenance pack in near future to have this issue resolved.

chack22
Level 4

Is there a tech note that I can reference?

Pinku
Level 5

I couldn't manage to find any technote related to the above issue...

But some customer have this issue resolved by rebooting the nodes.

For fine tuning on exchange environment, follow below technote/video:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO41824

chack22
Level 4

As an update, I had the Exchange admins move a mailbox off a database that was not allowing browsing to a database that appeared to allow browsing and it worked. I'm fairly confident that it has something to do with permissions granted to the NBU service account either at the mailbox server level or at the database level. Now that browsing seems to be working, have to figure out the actual restore...