Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.1 Solaris Installation Components

Yajith
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

I'm engaged in my first NetBackup Enterprise server installation on Solaris.

I have downloaded and installed "NetBackup_7.1_Solaris_x86.tar.gz" from fileconnect and noticed something very different.
"jnbSA" and some other binaries i remember from my past experiences are not there.

Installation it self was quite different, some of the prompts i remember very well like the hostname etc. and on the PBX component were simply not there. When given my serial key at fileconnect, all i'm given is above server installation ( for many platforms ), client installation and other things like opscenter. I can't find any location where i can find those components ( eg. java console, pbx etc. ) and not quite sure what components are mandatory.

Appreciate some advice with this.

Regards,

Yajith

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So, what did you respond at this point?

Is this okay? (y) [y, n,?, q]

It seems that your installation was not successful.

You need to find and check the installation log. Depending on your answer to above question, the installation log will either be in /usr/openv/tmp  or /opt/openv/tmp. Look for install_trace.####.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Everything is built into the installer now apart from OpsCenter

All agents, pbx, java components etc. are in included in the single installation package.

Everything gets installed but only becomes active when the appropriate license key is added to the system

Hope this helps

Marianne

What makes you say '"jnbSA is not there"?

I can see it on my 7.1 installation:

/> cd /usr/openv/netbackup/bin
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin >ls jnb*
jnbSA

I can also see pbx if I look at running processes:

> /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpps -x

NB Processes
------------

MM Processes
------------

Shared Symantec Processes
-------------------------
root     22191     1  0 Mar14 ?        00:00:08 /opt/VRTSpbx/bin/pbx_exchange

If you read through the NBU Installation Guide for UNIX and Linux  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3647  you will see that client software along with ALL agents and options are installed with NBU Server software.

Yajith
Level 4
Partner Accredited

This is part of the issue as i noticed.

"jnbSA" binary is simply not there inside /usr/openv/netbackup/bin

Installation wizard it self ran in a very different way and did not prompt for a hostname etc. that i remember as a part of the process from my previous installations.

Only package installed by the installer seems to be "SYMCnetbp"

Yajith
Level 4
Partner Accredited

To clarify more, the installation did not prompt for anything else after the below point. (No license key entry etc!)

----

NetBackup and Media Manager binaries will be installed in
/opt/openv
and a link will be created from /usr/openv to opt/openv, if it
does not exist.

----

Only thing that was different is that i had a /usr/openv already created as a separate mount point and the installer detected it as a conflict. It prompted to continue with the conflict. I'm starting to wonder, by doing that it has only done some sort of a partial setup.

I'm thinking of trying a reinstallation, but since /usr/openv is on a seperate mount still i think i will keep getting this conflict message and might end up in the same place.

Your ideas are much appreciated.

Marianne

So, what did you respond at this point?

It seems that your installation was not successful.

You need to find and check the installation log. Depending on your answer to above question, the installation log will either be in /usr/openv/tmp  or /opt/openv/tmp. Look for install_trace.####.

Yajith
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I have attached the installation trace herewith. There seems to be many errors relating to missing files.

My /usr/openv/netbackup directory contents are also attached here.

Yajith
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I may have found a clue why it happened. The files reported missing on the install trace seem to be exist only with partial file names. Perhaps some problem during the extraction.

I have removed and cleaned up the installation, will be performing a fresh install again in few minutes. Will keep you posted.

Gaurav21
Level 4

Are you sure the platform is x86? the script may not be working due to the same.

Yajith
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I was able to install the server properly after a cleanup. Issue was with the way i extracted the installation bundle. I have been using a "tar" binary that came with the OS, which i think is the root cause of all the problems.

After extracting the bundle with GNU tar, i was able to do the installation properly. I used below link to download the appropriate tar binary for Solaris.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH154080

Thanks all for your valuable advices, referring to the install_trace was the key here.