cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.5 Client Install Fails

iiitech
Level 3

Hi NetBackup folks. I am having a problem installing Netbackup Client 7.5 on Red_Hat Linux  Enterprise Linux Server release 5.8 (Tikanga)

Her is the error I get:

./install

Answer prompts normal stuff then:

MM Processes
------------

A failure was detected running /iiidb/users/home/angerame/NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/Linux/RedHat2.6.18/cp_to_client primus.lmumain.edu sierra-db /tmp/install_trace.10765

File /usr/openv/tmp/install_trace.10765 contains a trace of this install.
That file can be deleted after you are sure the install was successful.
The mentioned file has no further information.

Can someone help with this issue?

Thanks,

Tony

l

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I don't think the script should be trying to stop processes unless it thinks for some reason your host is already a server.

Is this a brand new client, or was NetBackup ever on here before?  (Or did someone try to install a NetBackup server on here before?)

If /usr/openv already exists, could you rename or delete it and try again?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

What does /usr/openv/tmp/install_trace.10765 say ?

iiitech
Level 3

Nicolai thank you so much for responding as I am sort of between a rock and a hard place. Here is the trace for the install attempt. I don't see any new information here but perhaps you will.

Tony

The oouput of uname -a on the subvject server showing kernel revision level:

Linux sierra-db 2.6.18-308.16.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue Sep 18 07:21:07 EDT 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Do you want to install the NetBackup client software for this client? [y,n] (y) y

This package will install Linux/RedHat2.6.18 client.

NetBackup client is currently at release level 7.5.

This package will install NetBackup client 7.5.

Enter the name of the NetBackup server : primus.lmumain.edu

Would you like to use "sierra-db" as the configured
name of the NetBackup client? [y,n] (y) y

Client binaries are located in /iiidb/users/home/angerame/NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/Linux/RedHat2.6.18.

Terminating NetBackup and/or Media Manager processes.

Cannot continue when NetBackup or Media Manager processes are running.

This script was not successful in terminating these processes.

Please terminate the following processes that are still running before
trying this script again:

NB Processes
------------

MM Processes
------------

A failure was detected running /iiidb/users/home/angerame/NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/Linux/RedHat2.6.18/cp_to_client primus.lmumain.edu sierra-db /tmp/install_trace.10765

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

From the log this looks suspect:

Terminating NetBackup and/or Media Manager processes.

Cannot continue when NetBackup or Media Manager processes are running.

Are there processes running? What does bpps -x show?

iiitech
Level 3

Nicolai,

At foirst there was a VRTSpbx process running (Which the install the first pass installed and ran) I killed it then reran bpps -x it showed no process running now I executed install again and it erred in the same exact way again calling out the cp_to_client script.

Tony

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I don't think the script should be trying to stop processes unless it thinks for some reason your host is already a server.

Is this a brand new client, or was NetBackup ever on here before?  (Or did someone try to install a NetBackup server on here before?)

If /usr/openv already exists, could you rename or delete it and try again?

iiitech
Level 3

Nicolai,

Sure I can that but it was the install script that created it but what the heck maybe I am wrong. I will delete it and try again. Thaks for hanging in ther!

Tony

iiitech
Level 3

Ahhh Nicolai that was it! During the working install the PBX Binary is installed and run. Somehow the install would not proceed after that.Perhaps ....welll PEBCAK??? Thanks so much for your assistane!

Tony