cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.5: How to ASSIGN a schedule to policy

Alex_A_
Level 2

Hi,

Is there a way to ASSIGN a Calendar-based Full Backup schedule (created using bpschedule command) to a NetBackup 7.5 policy in Linux?

Here's additional info:

I have a lot of backup policies to be executed on different days of week (Monday - Sunday). Instead of configuring each of the policy's schedule individually (using bpplsched / bpplschedrep), I woud like to create 7 precofigured schedules using bpschedule (Monday_Sched ... Sunday_Sched) and assign them to the policies.

I thought the following command would accomplish that:

bpplsched <policy_name> -add <sched_label>

but the "-add" option turned out to be more like "create completely new schedule" rather than "assign existing schedule to policy".

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

wait, wrong command!

bpschedule – add, delete, or list disk staging storage unit (DSSU) schedules

you want to use

bpplsched – add, delete, or list NetBackup schedules

( the latter requires policy name as an argument )

>>I wanted to find a way to PRECONFIGURE a schedule

you can write a script which contains the common parts while you fill in the unique parts, like policy name

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

What do you mean by assign existing schedule to policy?

Schedules in other policies have no link to other policies - they are completely independant.

You would have to add a new schedule if you wanted it in a specific policy.

Alex_A_
Level 2

When I create a schedule using the bpschedule command, it creates a new stand-alone schedule, not associated with any policies. So, I thought there must be a way to "assign" it to a policy or multiple policies. The question is whether I can do it or not?

I have dozens of policies to be run on similar/identical schedules (Calendar-based, weekday Monday, window 0100-2300, ST FULL, RL 3). I will be introducing more policies in the future. Instead of creating new "policy schedules" and configuring each one of them manually for each policy using the bpplsched or bpplschedrep, I wanted to find a way to PRECONFIGURE a schedule, that I can keep assigning to current and/or future policies. I have to do everything from the command line.

Thanks for the reply.

Alex

Will_Restore
Level 6

wait, wrong command!

bpschedule – add, delete, or list disk staging storage unit (DSSU) schedules

you want to use

bpplsched – add, delete, or list NetBackup schedules

( the latter requires policy name as an argument )

>>I wanted to find a way to PRECONFIGURE a schedule

you can write a script which contains the common parts while you fill in the unique parts, like policy name

Alex_A_
Level 2

I first want to create a generic/basic schedule (stand-alone, not associated with a policy)

bpschedule -add Monday_S -cal 1 -weekday Monday 1 -st FULL -rl 3

That way when I create a new policy, I can simply assign THIS schedule to the new policy. Is that possible?

I don't want to be configuring each policy manually using bpplsched, since I am dealing with dozens of policies at a time.

Yes, it can be scripted, but my goal is to create all the necessary schedules ahead of time and reuse them for new policies.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Unfortunately you can't do that, as previously mentioned. Schedules are unique to their policies.

You can't create a schedule then assign it to multiple policies, it doesn't work like that.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Consider to copy new policy from pre-configured policy with schedules using "bppolicynew <policy_name> -sameas <base_policy>" and then modify new policy as you like.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Or, if you're not averse to using the GUI, create a generic policy with your 'template' schedules then just right-click copy & paste into their appropriate policies.

Alex_A_
Level 2

revaroo: Thanks for the answer!

others: Thanks for the useful suggestions!

Alex A