cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.5 - Job Configuration Question

stanz358
Level 2

Hello All:

Well, our backup admin quit and this role landed in my lap. I have backup exec experience but no NetBackup. Here's my situation. We backup about 20 TB a week in fulls and probably a 1/4 of that in diffrentials. About 30-35 servers. Overland Neo4000 - 50 slots, 4 LTO 5 drives. Personally, I think netbackup is overkill for what we're doing but I'm stuck with it and need to learn and get it configured to my liking as quickly as possbile.

We dump our databases to flat files on disk and backup from there. The rest is straight to tape. I just need to get this configured for performance without getting overly complicated. Not worried about retention periods etc etc. We pull the tapes every Monday for offsite storage.

My first task that I can't seem to figure out is how to run one job to 1 drive. I've noticed that I have a few larger jobs that tied up all 4 drives for a substantial period of time causing everything to queue up behind it. So for now, I'd like to get 1 job per drive. This way the larger jobs won't hold up the smaller ones from running.

I've deselcted multiplexing and deselected allowing multiple streams and still get 1 job running across multiple drives. What am I doing wrong? 

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

For one of the policies that causes the issue, please post up:

bppllist <policy name> -L

and

bpstulist -L

Thanks,

Martin

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

For one of the policies that causes the issue, please post up:

bppllist <policy name> -L

and

bpstulist -L

Thanks,

Martin

stanz358
Level 2

Martin - I did some reading up on this and figured it out. Thanks 

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Wow - excellent - nice to see someone dive into the manuals.

multiple streams / mpx, directive settings in the file list in the policy etc .. all adds up to 'confusion' sometimes - I  was going to run a few tests but hadn't had time,  what did you find ?