cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.5 for Oracle on Windows 2008

DeHaynes
Level 2

My university is using NetBackup for the enterprise solution.  I just purchased the license for the NetBackup for Oracle client.  I have gone all the way through the process where you create a template.  I have even done a manual cold backup with the template.

Now I need to schedule this and I do not know how.

Understand that I do not have acces to the NetBackup Master server or any of its functionality.  The central IT department maintains that.  The central IT staff want me to kick off backups for the database.  They say that way I am in control of that.  I would like to schedule this backup to run from Windows Task Scheduler.  I have found some example scripts but none of them seem to do the same thing as the manual backup done with the template.  Here are the steps I would like to do.

1. Bring down the Oracle database
  2. Do a backup of the database using Rman.
  3. Bring the database back online
  4. Copy the backup files to the Master server

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DeHaynes
Level 2

I found the solution I believe.  The key was the bpdbsbora command which will generate a script from a template.  Since I already had a template that works manually, I generated a script from it.  I then modified the script slightly to give the log file a better name and to put it in a specific location.  I also changed the script so it deleted any log files older than 365 days every time it ran.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Will_Restore
Level 6

I take it you are a DBA.  If you don't already have Symantec NetBackup 7.5 for Oracle Administrator's Guide, download it here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5175

Templates are covered in the section starting on page 85:

Running NetBackup for Oracle templates

Using bpdbsbora to run a backup template

The bpdbsbora command lets you run a backup template that is created by the

NetBackup for Oracle RMAN template generation wizard.

At the command prompt, type this command using the following options:

bpdbsbora -backup -r -t templ_name [-S srvr_name] [-L prog_file]

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Rman allows you to take hot, online backups of Oracle db's.

Please have a look at the Sample scripts in <install_path>\NetBackup\dbext\Oracle\samples\rman

Customize one of the sample scripts and use Windows Task Scheduler to kick off script. Just get confirmation from NBU admins that Oracle type policy exists for this client with schedule that allows backups at any time.

Create  bpcd and dbclient log folders for troubleshooting.

Backup team and Oracle dba's need to work together to get this working....

DeHaynes
Level 2

I found the solution I believe.  The key was the bpdbsbora command which will generate a script from a template.  Since I already had a template that works manually, I generated a script from it.  I then modified the script slightly to give the log file a better name and to put it in a specific location.  I also changed the script so it deleted any log files older than 365 days every time it ran.