cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.5 upgrade creates catalog problem on backups prior to upgrade

JeanB
Level 4

After upgrading from 6.5.4 (solaris) to 7.5 RHEL (see steps below), our catalog no longer shows files (through BAR GUI) on backups done prior to the upgrade. Only empty dierctories are shown in BAR. This occurs on RHEL prod master only.  On Solaris 7.5 clone (used as intermidiate server in upgrade plan) files are visible.

Files in /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images appear to be the same on both the RHEL and the Solaris

Upgrade process follows

3 servers involved:

P1  production 6.5.4 Solaris 10
L1   Lab 6.5.4 Solaris 10
P2  Production 7.5 RHEL 6.3

Steps are as follows:

Stop all NB processes on  P1 and all media servers (2 X 6.5/solaris)

L1 is renamed to same hostname as P1

Catalog Files copied from P1 to L1
/usr/openv/netbackup/db
/usr/openv/db
/usr/openv/volmgr/database

L1 ugraded to NB 7.5

Hot-Catalog backup done in L1 to disk storage unit using Wizard

NB 7.5 installed on P2 with same hostname as P1

Hot-catalog files from disk unit copied from L1 to P2 on equivalent Disk unit

Catalog restored with wizard onto P2

Cat-import -all done on P2 catalog

The catalog infomation is still avaliable on disk and we need to find the correct way to salvage it, without destroying what has been added since the upgrade (may 1st). 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If OS compress/uncompress command is working, NBU will call the appropriate commands to uncompress why you try to browse folders.

You can try to decompress images for one particular client: 'bpimage -decompress -client <name>' once you have confirmed that OS package is installed.
I don't see an option for image-id in Commands manual.

There should be no need for cat_import if you have restored from NBU 7.5 catalog backup.

Your next problem will be with mismatched EMM database version...

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne

Steps to migrate from Unix/Linux to another Unix/Linux are documented over here:

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between UNIX or Linux master servers as part of a hardware refresh
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77448 

Did you follow advice to patch NBU immediately after upgrade?
See the 7.5 section in 7.x upgrade portal: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74584 

One more thing:
Did you have catalog compression on the original master?
If so, check if ncompress RPM package is installed on the Linux master.
See: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH153677 

JeanB
Level 4

TECH77448  was consulted and steps were followed.

The upgraded master was patched to 7.5.0.7 prior to the catalog import from that backed-up on the Solaris host.  Note that the Solaris host was and is still at 7.5 (not 7.5.0.7).    Compression was not involved in the catalog backups, even though the db/images files contain .f.Z files (?)

Marianne

Source master must also be upgraded to 7.5.0.7 before catalog backup and restore to new  7.5.0.7 installation.

All of the following must be the same:

Hostname
NBU version and patch level
NBU installation path.

.f.Z file in images folder say that catalog compression was enabled on source master.

Please confirm that ncompress package is installed on Linux master server.

PS: Similar issue just over a year ago: 
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/migrating-nbu-7104-solaris-rhel-57

JeanB
Level 4

Too late for the 7.5.0.7 on source master.  Anyhow, there is no compress package on the RH master.  Does cat_import  have anything to do with catalog compression?

Please note as I'm trying to salvage this without rollbacking.  Rollbacking or redoing the upgrade would involve losing all backups since May 1st...or could we envison some sort of catalog merge (the before with the after)?

Marianne

.Z files are created when catalog compression is enabled. This says to me it was enabled on the source master.

You need to install the ncompress package on the Linux master.

You can only restore EMM database to exactly the same NBU version and patch level. No way around this requirement.

Marianne

If OS compress/uncompress command is working, NBU will call the appropriate commands to uncompress why you try to browse folders.

You can try to decompress images for one particular client: 'bpimage -decompress -client <name>' once you have confirmed that OS package is installed.
I don't see an option for image-id in Commands manual.

There should be no need for cat_import if you have restored from NBU 7.5 catalog backup.

Your next problem will be with mismatched EMM database version...

JeanB
Level 4

That did it!   ncompress solved it right in BAR.

JeanB
Level 4

Do I really have an issue with the database version?

cat /usr/openv/netbackup/version

VERSION NetBackup 7.5.0.7
RELEASEDATE Sat Nov 23 21:17:52 CST 2013
BUILDNUMBER 20131123

cat /usr/openv/netbackup/db/DBVERSION_7.5.0.0

JeanB
Level 4

I just read through the thread that had a very similar problem.   Yes this is exactly what we are experiencing, but I hope I can get out of this without rollbacking!   Ok so I will install the ncompress package.  And then what can I do?  Can I at least focus on a particular backupid which I could possibly uncompress, cat_import, and then validate that we might have pinpointed the problem?

Thanks