cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.6.0.2 corrupting SQL backup files when backing up from NetApp CIFS Share

chagebusch
Level 2

Has anyone seen NetBackup change a file that it is backing up?

We have NetBackup 7.6.0.2 (I know...) and have been backing up .bak files from a NetApp CIFS file share (where the SQL Maintenance plans drop them) for years.  Now when I backup a .bak file from a CIFS share it gets corrupted somewhere between the backup and recovery process.  and MD5 Checksum fails.

We upgraded NetApp OS to Clustered Data OnTapp 8.3.2 about 6 months ago and the problem started sometime after that. (I don't have to do too many SQL restores on the whole.)

We are using an MS Windows policy pointing at a URL to back up the CIFS.  I am able to back up the .bak files from a local drive of the same server with no problem and I am able to back up and restore other file types from CIFS shares with no problem e,g, .iso.

Has anyone seen anything like this? 

Upgrading is not an option at this point in time.

2 REPLIES 2

D_Flood
Level 6

I had a similar issue with a legacy third-party program produced pseudo tape files.  The original wasn't messed up by the backup but any restored copy was.  Since they were small enough I finally had to find a command line version of gzip and schedule a job to gzip the files down before the backup ran an that seemed to protect them.

In your case I'd try disabling any anti-virus that is running on both the CIFS host and the mount host in case it's editing the data stream.  You also might see if the same corruption occurs when you use the mount host's copy command to copy from the share to someplace else.  Finally, you might take a look at the TCP/IP settings on the mount host and see if dropping the MTU or forcing IPV4 only might help.

Thanks,

I will check out those suggestions.