cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.6.0.3 (BAR) Client on Exchange server takes a LONG time to load

PaulLaVigne
Level 4

I recently upgraded the NetBackup client on my newly built Exchange 2013 server to 7.6.0.3. Now, when I try to open Backup, Archive and Restore, it takes about 8-10 minutes for the client to load. if i click on the windows while waiting, Windows thinks it is not responding and gives me the option to close it. If I wait it out, it eventually displays.

The Exchange server is running on Server 2012 R2, on a VMWare Virtual Machine. It is not in production yet, as we are preparing for an upcoming migration. I have tried uninstalling the client, and reinstalling. What's interesting is when I have the base 7.6 client, it opens just fine. I also downloaded and installed the separate 2012 client upgrade for this server as well, and reinstalled, and got the same results.

My NetBackup Master Server is on Windows Server 2008 R2. My Media Server is a NetBackup 5220 appliance. The intention is to do VM Backups, with the Exchange option.

Everything was upgraded to 7.6.0.3 (2.6.0.3 on the Appliance) last week.

Why the drag?

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

Usually when that happens it means NetBackup is trying to connect to something, or doing name resolution. Since you say it works fine when having 7.6 on we would assume the name resolution is working fine. It might then be that during the 7.6.0.3 patch something in the registry gets updated and either your client's name, or the master's name get messed up or changed somehow. Just a guess.

If not, maybe its a bug.

Marianne
Level 6

When opening BAR, the client connects to bprd on the master to request a list of recent backups.

I cannot explain why the base 7.6 (I guess 7.6.0.1?) does not have the same delay....

Curious to know if 'bpclntcmd -pn' on the client displays correct info and how long it takes.

You can try to disable 'default search' option in Client's Host Properties:

Host Properties -> Clients -> <Client name>:
Windows Client -> Client Settings 
Clear the tick-box for 'Perform default search for restore'

PaulLaVigne
Level 4

The command line tool reported back just fine - no issues there. master and client are listed as expected.

I think I figured it out, however, I don't have much of an explanations as to why.

If I right click the shortcut and select "run as administrator", then it loads up just fine.

I realized that when it finally loaded up, it was always listed (read only) in the title bar of the window.

Something apparently changed in the security between the versions, or Server 2012 interacts differently.

RiaanBadenhorst

Suprised you've not been doing that for ages wink

Marianne
Level 6

UAC has been a problem for as long as the 'feature' has been around and is the first thing I disable if I have a choice.

I have seen it causing 'weird an wonderful' issues, for example, all sorts of configuration and backups working fine, but unable to run reports!

So, NBU GUI should always be opened with 'run as administrator' where UAC is enabled.

It is a Windows problem, prohibiting NBU actions, not NBU issue....