cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.6 Accelerator with VMware-type policies to DataDomain

PeterCrNZ
Level 2
Partner

What is the status of using NetBackup 7.6 VMware Accelerator with EMC DataDomains, is it supported by Symantec and fully compatible?

My own limited testing using VMware Accelerated Backups with NetBackup 7.6.0.1, vSphere 5.1, HotAdd and the OST 2.6 plugin shows it works, at least with this configuration.

The HCL below lists the OST Functionality type 'Accelerator with VMware-type policies (Accel_VMware)' as only being compatible with NetBackup Appliances. DataDomains are listed as being compatible with the OST Functionality type 'Accelerator', but not 'Accel_VMware'.
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH76495

I noticed that OST Accel_VMware is listed as being compatible with NetBackup 7.0 on the Netbackup 5000 Appliance which is strange as the feature wasn't available until 7.6?

3 REPLIES 3

chack22
Level 4

It works, but it's unsupported until it hits the HCL. Based on conversations with my local SE, the HCL will be updated to reflect this support when 7.6.0.2 comes out (along with instant recovery was his understanding.)

William_Jansen_
Level 5
Partner Certified

I'm guessing it will only be in 7.6.0.2 like everything else they are promising :p

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee

Hi, PeterCrNZ

DataDomain is listed as being compatible with Accelerator, Accel_VMware in the latest HCL(2014/6/17 updated), but it's up to the type of DataDomain device.

In other hand, Acceleartor backup for VMware is supported since 7.6, before that not supported.

thanks

walker