cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.6 - Licensing

GoldenTait
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Customer has an issue around licensing of Veritas NBU. They are being pushed to the capacity model (however they have been using the a la carte model for years). They currently have 2TBs of DPOO licensing, however they are now being told they are out of compliance. Their backup domain covers 65TB but they only use deduplication functionality on 4TB of remote servers. The customer wanted to purchase 2 more TB (actually 3 for some growth room) but Symantec issaying no – it needs to be 65TB, even though I would never use this DPOO feature in the data center. 

Has any ever seen this before and can they provide some insight.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

As long as the customer is covered with traditional licensing - then I wouldn't put up with being bullied in to purchasing 65TB of DPOO when they only need an additional 2TB but are willing to stump up front for 3TB which shows good willing on the customer's behalf in my book.  I think you deserve a discount after being on the receiving end of such nefarious conduct.

All you need to do is prove that you are only using 4TB/5TB of DPOO and that's it.

You should lodge a complaint and escalate within Symantec/Veritas - and make sure you get a discount from this frakas.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

As long as the customer is covered with traditional licensing - then I wouldn't put up with being bullied in to purchasing 65TB of DPOO when they only need an additional 2TB but are willing to stump up front for 3TB which shows good willing on the customer's behalf in my book.  I think you deserve a discount after being on the receiving end of such nefarious conduct.

All you need to do is prove that you are only using 4TB/5TB of DPOO and that's it.

You should lodge a complaint and escalate within Symantec/Veritas - and make sure you get a discount from this frakas.