Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.6 with Exadata

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Hi

Not being familiar with Exadata in the slightest  - can anyone tell me if backing up Oracle databases using the Oracle agent and new 7.6 Oracle integration is possible\supported and achieved in the same way as if Oracle were on a standalone server?

I believe Exadata may use some kind of grid or clustered servers front end (where I assume the Oracle application is installed) with storage servers (I think they may be called 'cell' servers) at the back end using Infiniband to connect to the stoarge itself. From a NetBackup point of view what do I do in terms of installing the NetBackup client? Is it simply installed on EVERY front end 'database' server (which I think may run either Solaris or OEL)? If that's the case, once that's done can I just register the Oracle instances with NBU in the same way I would for a standalone server and starting backing up or is there more configuration required on the Exadata??

many thanks in advance

KL

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Think that an Exadata should be treated like a RAC setup on Linux or Solaris, as this is what Exadata more or less is under the cover.

It is a little more complex than a standalone Oracle server, but there are several technotes about backup/restore of a RAC.

Hopes this helps you forward

Regards

Michael

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Think that an Exadata should be treated like a RAC setup on Linux or Solaris, as this is what Exadata more or less is under the cover.

It is a little more complex than a standalone Oracle server, but there are several technotes about backup/restore of a RAC.

Hopes this helps you forward

Regards

Michael

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Thanks Michael

I'll take a look at the technotes - but it sounds like it's achieveable rather than a flat "can't be done \ unsupported" response which I was hoping wouldn't be the case

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Thanks - I'm clear on this now