Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.6.x with MS Hyper-V 2012 R2

amr_tarek
Level 3
Partner Accredited

The current environment that i have the following :

Master Server :- NetBackup Version 7.6.0.4

MS Hyper V Cluster 2012 R2 of 4 Nodes :- NetBackup Version 7.6.0.4

All the virtual machines hosted on the MS Hyper V cluster are ( Windows 2008 SP2 x64 / 2008R2 SP1 ) with integration services version "6.3.9600.16384"

I created the Job policy with type Hyper-V to backup on a deduplication storage unit and configured it with the virtual name of the Hyper-V cluster. However , some virtual machies is failing with error code "4201 - Incorrect snapshot method", although other virtual machines on the same host done successfully

And the bpfis log is attached, "I tried everything and still have the same issue with the virtual machine"

8 REPLIES 8

punbs
Level 4
Certified

Hi Amr,

Could you please refer the below link:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-hyper-v-2012-backup-moving-virtual-machine-save-state

If issue not resolved please let me know, i will give further details to check on the Hyper-V server. And i suggest you once restart all the Hyper-V integration Services in the Virtual Machine and try a backup once.

And mention the Virutal Machine OS Versiton also in the next reply. 

Rgds, punbs

cupra
Level 2
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

Could you please provide us some more information about the setup uf the Hyper-V Culster?
- CSV or SMB3
- If CSV is used, which storage array is used?
- Is there any VSS Hardware provider installed on the Hyper-V nodes?

Please also describe the Snapshot Options you have active in the backup Policy.

Regards

Cupra

amr_tarek
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Techs,

Thanks for your prompt support.

Regarding the Virtual machine operating system , some virtual machines failed with os version 2008 R2 SP1 and others failed with OS version 2008 x64 SP2 and both failed with the same error code 4201

While the Hyper-V Cluster is based on CSV and the storage array is IBM Storewise V7000 and there is not VSS hardware provider installed on the Hyper-v nodes

I configured the Hyper-v policy with the default options and left the snapshot option "auto"

Regards

Amr

Ahmed_BOUAZIZ
Level 2
Partner Accredited

hi,

I have the same issues, any update for resolution ?

Thanks

L_BR
Level 5

Hi,

I've have the exact same issue with multiple Hyper-V machines. Exact same error in bpfis log:

09:05:18.265 [7276.11760] <4> do_post_processing: INF - EXIT STATUS 4201: Incorrect snapshot method configuration or snapshot method not compatible for protecting backup selection entries.
09:05:18.265 [7276.11760] <2> stop_keep_alive_thread: INF - Stop keep_alive thread 
09:05:20.280 [7276.13140] <2> onlfi_vfms_logf: INF - snapshot services: vss:Thu Apr 23 2015 09:05:20.280000 <Thread id - 13140> VSS API ERROR:- API [SetBackupSucceeded] return val = 80042308 [VSS_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND]
09:05:20.296 [7276.11760] <2> onlfi_vfms_logf: INF - snapshot services: vss:Thu Apr 23 2015 09:05:20.296000 <Thread id - 11760> VssNode::SetBackupSucceeded failed with error [0x80042308]. Please refer windows event viewer logs for more details.

You should find a similar error in the VSS logs. According to Symantec support, they believe the problem is with Microsoft Snapshot Provider. We tried with varioud provide, hardware, software, auto and they all failed.

Our microsoft team however, has been reluctant to contact their support. If you get any more info on how to resolve this, please update this post. I see countless posts that end up locked without a resolution.

NBU35
Level 6

Can u please check and confirm, if any of Vhd or vhdx file of failing machine resides on root volume ?

if yes, then move it ot machine's folder and then retry the backup.

L_BR
Level 5

Can you please explain how to do this in a bit more detail?

NBU35
Level 6

Get in touch with your Hyper-V expert, they will check if VHD or VHDX file of any machine, whose backup is failing resides in root volume of the hyper V server .

If it does, then probably they have to power off that machine and move that VHD or VHDX file from root volume to Folder of that machine. Folder of that machine will be existing inside the root volume and I assume it should have name of VM's Name.