cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7.7.3 Media Server install on RHEL 7

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

I need to deploy a NBU 7.7.3 Media server within an existing NetBackup environment and want to host it on a RHEL 7 server. When I'm installaing RHEL I get quite a few options for the 'Base Envionment'. The default option is 'minimal install' but other options include, 'Infrastructure Server', 'File and Print Server', 'Basic Web Server' etc. None of these fit and so I plan to go for the default 'Minimal install'.

Is this the most suitable option? If not which is the preferred option. Veritas say they don't have any recommended approach to OS installs and so I guess it doesn't matter but interested to learn what other people do.

Also does anyine have any guidance for the partitioning? eg:

1. /boot – 500 MB – non-LVM
  2. /root – min 20 GB – LVM
  3. /home – LVM
  4. /var – min 20 GB – LVM

I plan to create a 8TB MSDP but this will be on a SAN and so only need the internal disks for the OS and NBU application files.

many thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

If it were me, and because I don't know any different... I'd go minimal on the RHEL install.  Ask oneself... why deploy more and have more to lock down than you need necessarily have to?   But, I myself, do not know the difference between a minimal install and an Infrastructure Install of RHEL.  Maybe the "infra" install configures kernel settings and TCP/IP settings differently, i.e. ready for more of a "server role".

My advice:  add to the internal disks... min 60GB disk/LUN/partition for /usr/openv        which will be where NetBackup Server software installs itself to...    and do this before you install the new instance of NetBackup Server, before configuring it in the role of NetBackup Media Server.

Remember, when one wants to deploy a NetBackup Master Server, or NetBackup Media Server... then... one always installs an instance of NetBackup Server binaries... and it is during the act of installing that one receives the choice of whether one is deploying a Master Server or a Media Server.

And remember, if one wants to deploy a NetBackup Master Media Server, then one still installs from NetBackup Server binaries, and during install selects Master Server role, and it is during later actions of configuring the Master Server that one effectively turns the Master Server in to a Master Media Server.

(edited to remove reference to /opt/openv - sorry about that - old habits and all that)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Will_Restore
Level 6

I recommend a large partition for /usr  (that's where the NBU software and backup images reside).  In one of our medium size environments it's 300G.

see below...

sdo

If it were me, and because I don't know any different... I'd go minimal on the RHEL install.  Ask oneself... why deploy more and have more to lock down than you need necessarily have to?   But, I myself, do not know the difference between a minimal install and an Infrastructure Install of RHEL.  Maybe the "infra" install configures kernel settings and TCP/IP settings differently, i.e. ready for more of a "server role".

My advice:  add to the internal disks... min 60GB disk/LUN/partition for /usr/openv        which will be where NetBackup Server software installs itself to...    and do this before you install the new instance of NetBackup Server, before configuring it in the role of NetBackup Media Server.

Remember, when one wants to deploy a NetBackup Master Server, or NetBackup Media Server... then... one always installs an instance of NetBackup Server binaries... and it is during the act of installing that one receives the choice of whether one is deploying a Master Server or a Media Server.

And remember, if one wants to deploy a NetBackup Master Media Server, then one still installs from NetBackup Server binaries, and during install selects Master Server role, and it is during later actions of configuring the Master Server that one effectively turns the Master Server in to a Master Media Server.

(edited to remove reference to /opt/openv - sorry about that - old habits and all that)

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

if possible use an own LVM group/own Disk or at least a volumen for netbackup. Mountpoint is /usr/openv

The 300Gb is a good value for medium or large-medium envirnment. Most consuming is the image catalog. (Not the backup images itself - there are on your 8TB msdp) 

ciao

Martin

sdo

Maybe instead of 300GB for NetBackup Server... how about 60GB for /usr/openv    and then another separate LUN/disk/partition of say 240GB which you will mount at /usr/openv/netbackup/logs.

Oops!!  you said "Media server" and I misread that as "Master".

Media server doesn't need nearly as much as space in /usr, maybe 20G.

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Thanks all for your input I agree that there seems little point in selecting a particular role for the server (eg Infrastructure or Web) as the leaner the install the better. So I'm going to go for Minimal install. As far as partition size goes, then perhaps 100GB is a happy compromise. If it were a Windows server then I'd be going for a similar size so I guess that would also work for a Linux box. thanks all

Tousif
Level 6

NetBackup point of view.  
MSDP: You have the check the filesystem compatibility with MSDP.
SAN: All required driver include in installation to identify the SAN devices 

Thanks & Regards,

Tousif Naik