cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 7 - Deduplication Option

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I have recently implemented NBU 7 with PDDO. I am taking deduplicated backup of VMware vsphere using Vstorage API. Upto this, everything is fine, but now the question is I want to keep one copy on the tape for offsite vaulting.

Can I create any duplicate job / SLP which will allow me save my tapes as well?? that means i want to send the deduplicated backup of PDDO to tape with space savings which are achieved.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup will re-hydrate deduplicated image when you copy it to tape. This is how deduplication works by design.

There is a way to store whole PDDO pool on tape in deduplicated form, I believe you're aware of it - it called NetBackup Export and it's for disaster recovery of whole PD pool.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Mouse

NetBackup will re-hydrate deduplicated image when you copy it to tape. This is how deduplication works by design.

There is a way to store whole PDDO pool on tape in deduplicated form, I believe you're aware of it - it called NetBackup Export and it's for disaster recovery of whole PD pool.

seanwong
Level 4
Hello, I was about to post the similar question regarding NB7's Deduplication Disk Pool data, if it allow us to replicate the fore-said (So called perform "Aux copy" in Commvault term). In my testing environment, I use "Media Server Deduplication Pool", to configure the PureDisk Pool & Storage unit which is attached to Media server-B. And then basic setup such as Master server-A, Media server-B, Media server-C.

After read Mouse's feedback at above said, 
- May I ask that, is there a feature from the storage policy allows to add the 2ndary policy (Using Server-C)  to duplicate the Dedup-backup (Using Server-B) to remote storage (disk, or library tape), E.g. For offsite purpose..

- My 2nd question is, Server-B is out of reach (E.g. system down). Is that possible to perform data restore via the Server-C to the client node?

Thanks.

Mouse

SLP could be hierarchical please check the best practise guide here: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/334042.htm
If you have two MSDP pools you can do "optimized duplication", i.e. duplicate images in deduplicated state through WAN link and duplicate image to tape (in infalted form) to a tape library at the remote site.

If you have physical connectivity to any data source that has catalogued copy, you can mark this copy as primary and recover from it.

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hey Mouse,

Thanks for the info. I had used PD NBU export option but was not sure about the PDDO which is there in NBU7. 

One vote for you...

Mouse
I was sure that this feature is implemented for PDDO, not for MSDP pools. Maybe I'm wrong.

seanwong
Level 4
I did "glance thru" that provided document above said. I tried to look for the SLP schedule setting but where does it configure (schedule to run SLP)?

From master console > SLP > the only object can be selected is storage units for duplicating. How about, can we select like "backup policy" specific, so that all images associated with the backup policy shall be duplicated?

Thanks for the help

StefanosM
Level 6
You can not schedule SLPs.
There are some rules, regarding SLPs and nothing more.
In general an SLP will run immediately after the backup job is finished.

you can use a script to suspend an SLP and resume it late using the nbstutil command, but there is no true SLP scheduling.
If you need scheduling you can use netbackup vault option.

bartman10
Level 4

I heard they are looking at enabling you to backup deduplicated data to tape along with some kind of master database backup in a future version of NB.

Has anyone have any info on this?