cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 8.0 Java Admin Console issue

AZ_Dave
Level 3

Hi,

I have upgraded a master server from NetBackup 7.7.3 to 8.0. The installation had no issues. I am receiving email notices that my catalogs are being backed up.

When I try to start the Admin GUI I get “The Netbackup Admin Console failed to establish a secure connection with the host “{hostname}”. The request was terminated with the error code VRTS-24630.” The java log file has:

[1/12/17 8:15:08 AM MST {1484234108217}] [-1] [Session] Constructing SR:ServerRequest [SI=Thread[Thread-4,6,main], user=root, SR-InstanceID=2]
ServerInterface:setDebugLevel:262144
BpjavaLoginModule:Setting ServerRequest, debugLevel:262144
BpjavaLoginModule:connectServer:[root][drwayback][0]
[1/12/17 8:15:08 AM MST {1484234108218}] [-1] [Session] Login SR:ServerRequest [SI=Thread[Thread-4,6,main], user=root, SR-InstanceID=2]
From Logon, Connecting to vnetd service over PBX port = 1556, authService is true
Acknowledgement from PBX1
vrts.vss.sdk.at.exception.VRTSAtException: Unable to intialize local configuration data
        at vrts.vss.sdk.at.lib.core.Authenticator.atInitEx(Native Method)
        at vrts.vss.sdk.at.lib.core.Authenticator.vrtsAtInit(Authenticator.java:945)
        at vrts.shared.server.VxATSocket.<init>(VxATSocket.java:70)
        at vrts.shared.server.ServerInterface.secureConnect(ServerInterface.java:1402)
        at vrts.shared.server.ServerInterface.connectToServiceViaVNETD(ServerInterface.java:1598)
        at vrts.shared.server.ServerInterface.executeRun(ServerInterface.java:3799)
        at vrts.shared.server.ServerInterface.run(ServerInterface.java:2753)
CertificateAuthenticationException encountered, The NetBackup Admin Console failed to establish a secure connection with the host "drwayback".
The request was terminated with error code VRTS-24630.
[1/12/17 8:15:08 AM MST {1484234108275}] [-1] [Session] abort: closing all bpjava-sessions
[1/12/17 8:15:08 AM MST {1484234108275}] [-1] [Session] nothing to deinitialize

I tried running the bpnbaz -ProvisionCert command but it didn't help.

I get the same results whether I use the short name or the FQDN of the server. Same results if I use userID root or other authorized user.

I do have a case open with Veritas and am waiting for their analysis. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks!

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AZ_Dave
Level 3

This was an obscure issue but, if you're interested:

NetBackup is very finicky when it comes to DNS. From legacy issues, this had 2 DNS entries - drwayback.subdomain.domain.com and drwayback.unix.subdomain.domain.com. When I upgraded I used the short name.

So, it built the certificate as drwayback.subdomain.domain.com but was trying to authorize it as drwayback.unix.subdomain.domain.com.

Moral of the experience? Keep up on your house cleaning.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Krutons
   VIP   

Hello AZ_Dave,

What was the ouput when you ran bpnbaz?

#drwayback #SUCCESS EC_CODE(0) , Security certificate deployed successfully, @(01/11/17 11:19:33)

Krutons
   VIP   

Are you running the Admin Console on the master server (jnbSA) or from windows java console on your computer?

Could you post the bpjava-msvc logs, if the folder doesn't exist, create and try to login again.

/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpjava-msvc   ( Linux/Unix )
install-path\netbackup\logs\bpjava-msvc   ( Windows )

I'd also be interested in looking at the install logs from the upgrade of the admin console.

C:\ProgramData\Symantec\NetBackup\InstallLogs

AZ_Dave
Level 3

This was an obscure issue but, if you're interested:

NetBackup is very finicky when it comes to DNS. From legacy issues, this had 2 DNS entries - drwayback.subdomain.domain.com and drwayback.unix.subdomain.domain.com. When I upgraded I used the short name.

So, it built the certificate as drwayback.subdomain.domain.com but was trying to authorize it as drwayback.unix.subdomain.domain.com.

Moral of the experience? Keep up on your house cleaning.

Alexis_Jeldrez
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@AZ_Dave wrote:

When I try to start the Admin GUI I get “The Netbackup Admin Console failed to establish a secure connection with the host “{hostname}”. The request was terminated with the error code VRTS-24630.”

Had this exact message in a fresh installation last week. We tried both 8.1.1 and 8.0, installation ended without incidents but the console couldn't let us in.

Long story short: the domain account we were using wasn't a true domain administrator. We were assured that it was almost identical to a domain admin account. So we opened a new Windows session with the local administrator and we had no problems since.