cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 8.0 OST pool migration

MasterBlaster
Level 3

Hi,

I would like to ask for your kindly suggestion: we're urged to complete a complete tech referesh on a storage box used as backup pool, migrating all defined contents to a new storage box of higher capacity.

As for now, the box is mainly used to export an OST pool to our NetBackup 8.0 infrastructure, almost 50TiB in size of compressed (deduplicated) backup data, wich corresponds to over 1400TiB uncompressed.

The owner in charge of the migration procedure suggests to use a back to back hardware replication between the two storages (solution 1).

My thought however, is that NetBackup wouldn't relink so easily with the "new" replication target once the migration is complete, using the same (already defined) disk pool: even by using the same naming on the new mtree, the IP address from wich that mtree is seen will change, because the storage server is different, and that is not a setting that we can change on the fly over a previously defined disk pool...

My suggestion, as a backup operator, is to set up a new empty storage unit and disk pool over the new box (solution 2), then relocate the SLPs to the new disk pool (eventually moving long term retention images with bpduplicate script).

From my point of view that would be a safer and less invasive option, though maybe longer in terms of time.

From your experience, what do you think should be the best solution between the two above?

Regards

PS: This is the second topic I opened for this question, the first being marked as spam. Please be patient, I'm not intending to spam; I just thought this was a fairly common issue and I would benefit from your opinions. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Considering you used term "mtree" here, assuming you're moving between two Data Domains.

If you have time you can just add the new DD to NBU, set up replication between two DD units and move all backups using bpduplicate and expire source ones once everything is replicated. This will give you a new pool and associated requirements for reconfiguration in SLPs and policies.

However, Data Domain has so-called collection replication which is likely what your storage guy is referring to, with that you can attach the new box to the old one and create collection replication.

Once both are in sync, you can stop NBU, change the name and IP of old DD, rename the new DD and change its host name to the former name of the old DD, start NBU and NBU wouldn't notice.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Considering you used term "mtree" here, assuming you're moving between two Data Domains.

If you have time you can just add the new DD to NBU, set up replication between two DD units and move all backups using bpduplicate and expire source ones once everything is replicated. This will give you a new pool and associated requirements for reconfiguration in SLPs and policies.

However, Data Domain has so-called collection replication which is likely what your storage guy is referring to, with that you can attach the new box to the old one and create collection replication.

Once both are in sync, you can stop NBU, change the name and IP of old DD, rename the new DD and change its host name to the former name of the old DD, start NBU and NBU wouldn't notice.

@Mouse wrote:

Yes, that was exactly the corroboration I was searching for :)

Thanks!