cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 8.0, are we really ready for WMC?

YK
Level 3
Partner Certified

Just tried Web Management Console, got exactly same errors for 7.7.x and 8.0.

Are we ready, the Web Console introduced from 7.6.x? 

• User/Group created
  • SetupWmc completed successfully
  • Web Svc enabled and up running

Did I miss anything?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

We're not "enabling the web console".  We're enabling a web service.  Once the APIs are published and functionality is released that can use them, you'll find ways documented to make use of the service over the next several release cycles.  The account settings and service settings are being enforced in this release so that things are prepared and ready when a piece of functionality requiring them 'just works'.  It's a phased approach.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please tell us which document or URL you have followed?

According to http://www.veritas.com/docs/000048770
the URL to make sure the NetBackup Web Services are enabled, should be something like this:

https://<server>:<port>/nbwebservice/application.wadl

YK
Level 3
Partner Certified

Yes, verified the web svc is enabled. The HTTP 401 error indicates that the NetBackup Web Services are enabled.

Marianne

Please tell us more about your environment and where exactly did you install and configure what...

Maybe I am missing something, but I am not aware of any WMC other than the NetBackup Web Services that must be enabled/configured to work with the plugin installed on the Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) console to recover virtual machines from NBU.

If I look at this manual: 
NetBackup 7.7 Add-in for Microsoft SCVMM Console Guide
I see a diagram on page 9: NetBackup and SCVMM environment with NetBackup add-in

Can you share a diagram of what your environment looks like?
And tell us if the NetBackup add-in was successfully installed on the SCVMM console?

Or are you referring to something other than SCVMM with NBU add-in?

YK
Level 3
Partner Certified

It is as simple as a master/media/client all in one in my test environement. I just want to see what the new Web Management Console can do since it is enabled by default now from 8.0. 

Sigh, I suspect WMC is still far from ready yet. 

Marianne
NetBackup does not have a WMC.
The steps that you have followed is to enable SCVMM (as per the documentation that I have shared).

NBU 7.7 and above is managed via Java Console.

Marianne

@YK please help us to understand why you believe that NBU has a WMC.
(Other than the WMC service that enables add-in for SCVMM.)

Please share the documentation that you are using.

Marianne (as usual) is 100% correct.  There is no web console being introduced in 8.0, and (without getting into roadmap) there is no current plan for one.

The API foundations that are being laid in 8.0 will allow for a number of new capabilities in the coming releases.  I want to be crystal clear on this -- these are API foundations and the web services are a key part of that.  That TN is only about checking that the websvc is working properly and shouldn't be taken to mean that you have some functionality available to you via an https connection.

Hopefully that helps clear this up for you.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

I thought the same thing based on the release notes :  https://download.veritas.com/resources/content/live/SFDC/98000/000097866/en_US/NetBackup80_RelNotes....

I guess I assumed that since you're enabling the Web Console and we have to tell it which account to use during install then we were going to be able to access the admin Console via a web page. 

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

We're not "enabling the web console".  We're enabling a web service.  Once the APIs are published and functionality is released that can use them, you'll find ways documented to make use of the service over the next several release cycles.  The account settings and service settings are being enforced in this release so that things are prepared and ready when a piece of functionality requiring them 'just works'.  It's a phased approach.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

Genericus
   VIP   

Maybe it is semantics, but this is a quote from "https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000081350"

Beginning with NetBackup 8.0, the NetBackup master server includes a configured web server to support critical backup operations. This web server operates under user account elements with limited privileges. These user account elements must be available on each master server (or each node of a clustered master server).

In my mind, a web server and a web console are similar enough to allow for confusion.

You are correct - there is a web server now, it is not being used as a console at this time.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

This configured web server described in the NetBackup 8.0 release notes runs as the NetBackup Web Management Console service in Windows. It's for certificate management. By now you've seen a lot more of it in NetBackup 8.1.