cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 8.1 upgrade - time estimate

rowleydf
Level 2

Hi, I'm getting ready to upgrade in a couple weeks from NBU Ent Server 7.7.3 to 8.1 and I'm trying to find a way to estimate how long the upgrade will take on the master server.

Master is RHEL 6.9, catalog is 1.2TB, do not use MSDP

Current NBU Ent Server 7.7.3, upgrading to 8.1

Is there a calculator or rule of thumb for estimating how long the upgrade will take on the master server?  Need to plan my change control outage window.

Thanks,

Dave Rowley

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I upgraded NBU 7.7.2 to 8.1 with 1TB catalog, alhough on Windows in December, the total time for the upgrade was about 6 hours but it was a clustered Master with Global Cluster Option, so this includes also time to disconnect replication, isolate second Master from the network and re-establish replication.

You can check the 8.1 upgrade guide https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/125240132-127350446-0/v85160419-127350446 that provides estimates for the process but many of them apply to older version for whose catalogs massive catalog changes are expected during the upgrade. 7.7.3 to 8.1 is not a big jump and I don't recall any long conversions, even for MSDP they are now online operations (with some caveats about backward compatibility)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I upgraded NBU 7.7.2 to 8.1 with 1TB catalog, alhough on Windows in December, the total time for the upgrade was about 6 hours but it was a clustered Master with Global Cluster Option, so this includes also time to disconnect replication, isolate second Master from the network and re-establish replication.

You can check the 8.1 upgrade guide https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/125240132-127350446-0/v85160419-127350446 that provides estimates for the process but many of them apply to older version for whose catalogs massive catalog changes are expected during the upgrade. 7.7.3 to 8.1 is not a big jump and I don't recall any long conversions, even for MSDP they are now online operations (with some caveats about backward compatibility)

Veritas has released a nice article about a performance issue when upgrading to 8.1 due to changes in fingerprint algorithm for MSDP. ( https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100041390 )

We had a nice discussion with Veritas and it looks that in our case this conversion might take "several days" and also in the lab I can see some nice performance issues even after upgrade - all related to MSDP.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

"some nice performance issues"... nice ?

Very helpful, thank you! I will figure on 6 hours, even though my env is much simpler than yours.  Dave

Thanks for your response. We don't use MSDP but I still made a note of that Veritas article for future.

X2
   VIP   

Did my last upgrade a couple of days ago from 7.7.3 to 8.1 (direct, even though the documentation says it has to first 8.0 and then 8.1). The catalog is much smaller than yours (~ 500GB).

The upgrade was completed (1 master, 1 media) in less than 2 hours. My window was longer due to pre-upgrade and post-upgrade tasks I need to do for my upgrades.

RaymT___
Level 4

Hi Dave,

How was the upgrade? how long the master upgrade done? have u done 7.7.3 to 8.0 and upgrade to 8.1? or direct jump from 7.7.3 to 8.1 ?

my catalog size is 2.1 TB Linux.. msdp is sitting on media server ( appliance).

Any suggestion for me as im also preparing for upgrade.

Thanks. in advance.