cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup AIR SLP from 8.1 to 7.6.1.2

PratiqueManUtd
Level 3

Hi 

Wanted to know if the SLP replications will work from Netbackup 8.1 to 7.6.1.2 or not. We are in the process of doing the upgrades to 8.1. What should be the best approach ?

Don't want the replications to fail.

Thanks !

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I would personally not recommend this. I doubt that any documentation exist to say that it will work and secondly you have no support for the 7.6.x environment.

Since direct upgrade from 7.6 to 8.1 is not supported, please consider to upgrade the 7.6.1.2 environment to 8.0 ASAP.
See https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100032801

AIR replication between these version should not be an issue.
If so, you would be in a position to log a Support call.

Hi @Marianne, we are using Netbackup version 7.6.1.2 which can be directly upgraded to 8.1 (and we are doing the same for all the masters). Just thought the SLP would work or not, but looks like better to upgrade the targets first. 

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your information seems to be different to what I see on the NetBackup Upgrade portal: 
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100032801

Or maybe I misunderstood this statement: 
The NetBackup 8.1 Upgrade Guide provides an upgrade path from NetBackup version 7.7.x through NetBackup 8.1. 

Herewith statement about compatibility: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/25074086-127355784-0/AIR-127355784

The ability to perform Auto Image Replication between different versions of NetBackup does not overrule the basic image compatibility rules. For example, a database backup that was taken in one NetBackup domain can be replicated to a NetBackup domain of an earlier version. However, the older server may not be able to successfully restore from the newer image.

You may also want to read up in NBU 8.1 Release Notes about how the new secure comms is used with AIR as from 8.1.

Well may be the document says upgrade from 7.7 to 8.1, but we perform the upgrade from 7.6.1.2 to 8.1 and it works seemlessly. 

Anyways, so technically from the note you wrote below, I will be able to perform replications from higher version to lower but prospect of restoration will not be entertained from target. Please correct if my understanding is wrong. 

The reason older nbu versions are not mentioned is because they are no longer supported..

Marianne suggested to jump to 7.7.x version and then upgrade to 8.x for the simple fact that even if you were to encounter an issue with the upgrade you would be in a position to log a call and receive support on the upgrade failure especially when things get messy and you need to go back to older versions and perform complete catalog recovery and stuff..

The upgrade may work smoothly but if you encounter an issue and roll back or partial upgrade wherein only binaries are upgraded and nbdb isnt or you need to go back to 7.6.1.2 and perform a catalog recovery to brings things up and running you would be on your own..

As Marianne mentioned earlier definitely not recommended to have source and master running on such different older versions especially when its not supported.. have the slp suspended and preferably upgrade both the environments in one go