cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup API 8.3.0.1 License Capacity Client Details

Krutons
   VIP   

Not sure if anyone will be able to give me some insight on how this works but worth a try.

I'm writing a powershell script to curl the license capacity client details for a list of clients that are using specific storage. The clients are DB hosts that are backed up with an OIP policy and a local file system backup plus some specific VM's. I'm seeing weird behavior when looking at a few of the DB hosts. For example, one of the client is the following (I've edited the names of clients/policies/servers for obvious reasons.

[root@master admincmd]# ./bppllist -L -byclient <client name backup network> | grep <beginning of policy name>_
Policy Name: <oip policy>
Policy Name: <local file system policy>

So this is expected because that is the client name that is used for both backups. I know this client has multiple mapped names such as the following.

<client name non backup network>
<ip>
<VIP DB FQDN>
<VIP DB backup network>
<client name backup network>

However, the output from the curl I get is the following.

Using the <client name backup network>

[

{

"clientName": "<client name backup network>",

"clientConsumptionMB": 0

"policyDetails": [

{

"backupId": "backupid",

"policyName": "<local file system backup>",

"masterServer": "<master>",

"policyType": "Standard",

"policyConsumptionMB": 0

},

{

"policyName": "<local file system backup>",

"policyType": "Standard",

}

]

}
]

Using the <client name non backup network>

[

{

"clientName": "<client name non backup network",

"clientConsumptionMB": 0,

"policyDetails": [

{

"policyName": "<oip backup>",

"policyType": "Oracle",

},

{

"policyName": "<oip backup>",

"masterServer": ">master>",

"policyType": "Oracle",

}

]

}
]

Why does the client name not using the backup network return the OIP backups?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Krutons
   VIP   

Hello @davidmoline 

Both policies are using the client with the backup network name. The DB is registered using the client with backup network name. It looks like the OIP policies might be going off of the client name in the bp.conf so the client name the DB is registered with is irrelevant in the eyes of the curl return for license capacity client details for OIP policies. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @Krutons 

I'm not going to be able to help with the API return, but the key difference bewteen an Oracle policy and a local file system backup is where and how the backup data stream is called. 

For a local file system backup the client name is contained in the policy and the backup is initiated from the master server. The backup image details will list this client name aagainst the backupid.

For the Oracle policy, the backup stream is initiated by the client and may be using the default client name. When this backup starts and communicates to the master, although it may be using the wrong client name (non-backup n/w name) the aliases you have mapped allow the backup to run aginst the OIP policy. 

What does the activity monitor show for the client name for each backup type. This may also be reflected in a bpimagelist output of the backupid for each type. 

Using the old RMAN scripts it was possible to set the client name using NB_ORA_CLIENT variable but I'm not sure this can be done using OIP or if it can how to do this.

Cheers
David

Krutons
   VIP   

Hello @davidmoline 

Both policies are using the client with the backup network name. The DB is registered using the client with backup network name. It looks like the OIP policies might be going off of the client name in the bp.conf so the client name the DB is registered with is irrelevant in the eyes of the curl return for license capacity client details for OIP policies.