cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Accelerator - is this SYMC version of EMC DDBoost ?

totolitoto
Level 3
Accredited Certified

Hi All,

• The Accelerator is used as deduplication process transfered to the client ... so something as Client Side Deduplication.
  • DDBoost from EMC, allows the Media Server to handle the deduplication process in order to reduce bandwidth between the Media Server and the Data Domain Appliance, in the condition the Media Server is not already overloaded (CPU and RAM).

So, is the Accelerator compatible with an OST DDBoost environment ?

Can it be used on a NAS ? I never thought there was any client installed on a filer when doing NDMP backup, nor in Direct to Tape, nor in Remote NDMP ... (no client, so no accelerator)

What do you say .

Thanks all

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

DDBoost is just deduplication plugin that works with EMC Data Domain, whereas NetBackup Accelerator is not equivalent to DDBoost. Accelerator uses not only deduplication technology of MSDP or OST  but also other various technology like change tracking and synthetic backup, to improve backup performance.

Can it be used on a NAS ?

i presume you are talking about backup source, so impossible. As you know, Accelerator requires NetBackup client on source. NDMP can not work with Accelerator.

BTW, about use for backup destination,  it is possible to use Accelerator with NAS that support OpenStorage(OST) and Optimized Sythetics with it. but not possible with standard NAS that does not support Optimized Synthetics.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

DDBoost is just deduplication plugin that works with EMC Data Domain, whereas NetBackup Accelerator is not equivalent to DDBoost. Accelerator uses not only deduplication technology of MSDP or OST  but also other various technology like change tracking and synthetic backup, to improve backup performance.

Can it be used on a NAS ?

i presume you are talking about backup source, so impossible. As you know, Accelerator requires NetBackup client on source. NDMP can not work with Accelerator.

BTW, about use for backup destination,  it is possible to use Accelerator with NAS that support OpenStorage(OST) and Optimized Sythetics with it. but not possible with standard NAS that does not support Optimized Synthetics.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

totolitoto
Level 3
Accredited Certified

Thanks for your answers, (and the links, Marianne).

So as far as I understand, Accelerator arrived with version 7.5.

With Client Side Deduplication, it can only work within a NetBackup Deduplication environment (as Client Side dedupe works only with MSDO and PureDisk).

Without Client Side Deduplication, it would work with any OST appliance that support Optimized Synthetics (that would be a pair of appliance with deduplication) ?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Keep an eye on the HCL that is updated about once a week (best to subscribe to the doc).
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76495

New OST features are updated constantly. See section called 'OST Secondary Storage Solutions'. Look for Accelerator. 

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

If I understand right,  in Accelerator backup, dedplication performs on or behind Media Servers to reduce client load.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

I was convinced that support of Optimized Synthetics feature is enoght for Accelerator because it is mentioned in NetBackup 7.5 Release Notes.

But, as stated in HCL, only OST storages marked 'Accelerator' are supported. Thank you for ypur help, Marianne.

totolitoto
Level 3
Accredited Certified

In facts, instead of synthetizing a Full Backup from 1 Base Full + x Incrementals, each Accelerated Full job sends only the delta blocs/files from the client to the dedupe appliance.

• Without clientside dedupe, only delta files will be sent to the media server (and dedupe takes place there)
  • With clientside dedupe, only delta blocs will be sent to the media server (double benefit of deduplication process)

teiva-boy
Level 6

You can use the Accelerator with DataDomain and BOOST per the HCL...However, the right software is not quite yet released.  You need NBU7.5, and from EMC you need the OST plug-in 2.6 and I bet DDOS 5.3 both of those are certified in the Symantec HCL, but not actually released from EMC.

The Accelerator IMO is Symantec's answer to what EMC was doing with Avamar and NDMP for years now. While I think it took them long enough, it's also great for Symc to finally have a competing product for large file backups and NAS backups like what Avamar can do.